True confession

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Lisa, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

On a walk this morning and I decided to try the off-lead experiment. I was at the place where Mark tried it before, in a place with a few open fields bounded by trees which are all linked together. I was on the way back home, we'd already been walking for about half an hour, there was no one around, so....just wanted to see what would happen. A moment of madness, I suppose.... :eek:

He did run off, but not full steam, and, just as he had done with Mark, as soon as he went a ways he turned and lay down, watching me as I approached. I just kept walking towards him, and as I got closer, he got up and took off again, and did the same thing, lying down to watch me approach. He did a little sniffing along the edges of the trees, but didn't venture into them, which was good. ::)

By this time we were getting to the third field, and I decided I had to get him back in that field as past that was where the town starts. But I wasn't too worried - no busy roads around, and at this point we're only about 10 minutes away from home and I know he knows the way.

Of course, as I approach the field (where he had gone through the gap into the trees to get to it) I hear barking (and snarling) and I get through the trees to see that there are two off-lead dogs there and their owners. Oops. :eek:

The other dogs were basically friendly-ish, the snarling was because Simba has discovered the joy of mounting other dogs at our dog park and was trying it on with one of them, who was NOT having it and was letting Simba know this was not the Done Thing. But they soon sorted it out.

So now became the challenge of getting him back from the other dogs as they walked away. Calling of course did not work ::) so I turned and ran away, but Simba was definitely more interested in them and their people than me. Just as I was wondering what the heck would be my next move he suddenly turned away from the dogs and came barrelling back at me, ignoring the other dogs who were now following HIM. He trotted up, I snapped the lead on, and off we went.

So, it wasn't a complete disaster. His running away when un-leashed does seem to be more about "Great, now let's play chase!" than a desire to take off. And he did turn and come back to me AWAY from other dogs.

I'm feeling hopeful that we might be able to get a successful recall out of him so am determined to continue through Total Recall and follow the program carefully!

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: True confession

That's very encouraging :)

When he lies down and waits for you to approach and then runs off it's probably still a big, fun game for him, no matter how slowly you approach. You could try turning around and walking in the opposite direction when he gets up to run further away. So, approach him as long as he's lying down, but walk away when he runs off further. That way, he's not rewarded for making it a slow-motion chasing game. Anyway, see what he does i you try that next time. I would also give him tasty food rewards every time he comes over to you. Eventually you want a situation where he'll happily approach you off-lead and 4 out of 5 times he's given a treat and allowed to run off again. Only about 20% of the time does coming back means he's leashed up again.

He is obviously monitoring where you are which is excellent. You have his attention out of the corner of his eye and he doesn't want you to be too far away. That's a really good thing!

3. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Good ideas, Rachael, thanks! I was walking towards him not so much to snag him but because that was the way home. My plan was to walk diagonal or the opposite direction when I did want to get him back. I did have some treats with me (just kibble mainly) so when he came back I gave him that and lots of praise, but I can see your point about the higher value. I like the idea about walking away when he runs off too.

Not that I am going to make a habit of this, I DO want to establish a solid recall, but I just wanted to know exactly where things were at this stage in case he got away from me or out of the yard or whatever.

As it gets colder less people will be out walking their dogs so it will easier to try out these things. :)

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Lisa that was a brave and productive experiment.it was the same for me here...as it got hotter here,I had to get out earlier and realised that was too much for most owners and a lot of dogs didn't get their walks :(,gave me a good op to practice and gauge which dogs would more or less be around at certain times.....
    The most challenging part of proofing the recall has been with other dogs......I feel like I can't practice enough in each situation so he's not bad but a long way from reliable.....I'm coming to accept that at this stage in our 'recall career' I have to be very vigilant to anticipate a point where he will respond...before he makes the dash....not easy......and not always successful :( have you tried hiding from him too?Dexter doesn't like not being able to see me ....I've learned that if he has dashed off with his 'pack' Barni and tam....when he gets puffed out and looks back,if I duck out of sight and blow,he flies back,if he can see me.....he wavers!the pull of the decision actually makes me smile now I'm a bit more confident....he sooooo wants to ignore me.....but he sooooooo wants some food! X

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Lisa link=topic=2795.msg28781#msg28781 date=1381032187]

So, it wasn't a complete disaster. His running away when un-leashed does seem to be more about "Great, now let's play chase!" than a desire to take off. And he did turn and come back to me AWAY from other dogs.

I'm feeling hopeful that we might be able to get a successful recall out of him so am determined to continue through Total Recall and follow the program carefully!
    [/quote]

It sounds exactly like he wants a game. And also hugely positive! You got him away from other dogs - that's not always easy. I reckon you'll be just fine doing total recall.

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Lisa, I think Simba is coming along well. He clearly looks t see where you are all the time, and came back instead of leaving with his new friends... Just remember to set him up to win, so call him FIRMLY, once, when he is close to you and looking at you, and then walk briskly away. I am sure he will follow you, as he obviously does not want to be separated from you. :)

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Lisa, well done you are really getting such a good response from Simba. What's your secret? Helen x