Tummy issues considering going to a raw or partially raw commercial diet.

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Mason's mom, May 24, 2022.

1. Mason's mom

Mason's mom Registered Users

Looking for advice. My newest 10 month old yellow lab, Lambeau has had tummy issues since we brought him home. Consistently loose poo. We have tried multiple dog foods with and without grain and different protein sources but have had limited success. For the last several months, he was doing well on a salmon sweet potato kibble, but recently has had very loose poo. He has tested negative for parasites. I am considering trying a raw diet and/or adding some raw to his current kibble. Looking for any input and experience. Thanks in advance!

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

From personal experience I would switch straight to raw alone. We had the same. Constant loose stools. Not a single upset stomach now for over 2 years. Be a little wary of chicken to begin with.From other sites it seems to be one meat that can cause issues but don’t write it off until you have tried as it’s one of the cheapest. I buy Nutriment 1.4kg chubs. Combination of duck/turkey/salmon/boneless beef for variety. He also gets raw veg added and marrow bones occasionally.

3. Mason's mom

Thank you so much for the reply. We are in the US and am considering a couple of commercially prepared foods. Was the switch over from kibble to raw initially hard on the stomach? Would of course do a gradual switch over but was wondering how that went. Thanks so much for your help.

4. J.D

J.D Registered Users

The recommendations that I researched were not to do it gradually just do a straight switch. Day one the food went straight through him but it was chicken which I then avoided for a while(have tried it since and it was fine) Since then he has had the firm crumbly poo seen in raw fed dogs. If it becomes white they are getting too much bone.Complete meals should have the right ratios. There is a lot of moisture in raw food so you will find Mason drinks less too if he has been on kibble. I add some water to his meals but that is not strictly necessary either.
    Toby had cancer at 18months and six months of chemo. I did a lot of research around his diet etc.He is extremely healthy( fingers crossed) and his weight easy to maintain. Some meals have a higher fat content so make sure you have a good range of proteins. Let us know how you get on if this is the route you go down.

5. Mason's mom

Thank you for the info. How old was Toby when you switched over and was it after the cancer diagnosis?

6. J.D

J.D Registered Users

He was around 2. After his chemo. He is 41/2 now. He had a period since on an Analergenic kibble to establish if his skin allergies were protein related. They weren’t so he went straight back to a mixed protein raw diet.Blood tests revealed his allergies were environmental.

7. Mason's mom

Your info is so helpful and appreciated! Continued good health for Toby!

J.D likes this.