Typical !!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Jun 24, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Having ordered a life vest for Sam , this happens :) Bit blurred and the technique has room for improvement but, he has all four legs off the bottom :)

[​IMG]

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Typical !!

Ah bless him he's moving a lot of water, hopefully because his tail was wagging!

3. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Kate, I would still try him with the life jacket on. It has given Ziggy so much more confidence to move his hind legs properly and come lower on to the water with his head. :)

4. kateincornwall

yes I will do Heidrun , he tends to do a lot of thrashing, but is swimming . However I agree, he needs to lower himself a little more and gain the confidence to do this . I think back with horror to the remark made to me by a " well meaning " old timer who said ( when Sam was smaller ) to pick him up and throw him in :( :( I was speachless at this, how blinkin cruel and what a break of trust too , its taken me ages just to get Sam into the water but at least he now enters the river willingly x

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That photo made me smile :) He may not be headed for Olympic gold just yet but it sounds like he has overcome a lot of apprehensions and made heaps of progress :)

6. bbrown

[quote author=kateincornwall link=topic=1803.msg14071#msg14071 date=1372070381]
    I think back with horror to the remark made to me by a " well meaning " old timer who said ( when Sam was smaller ) to pick him up and throw him in
    [/quote]

We had the same from some old school people, I think if you had a bold dog you might get away with but my poor little ninny wouldn't have enjoyed that one bit!!

I'm really glad we took the time to build his confidence gradually when I see how excited he is whenever we're near water even if he can't quite bring himself to jump with Caddie's level of enthusiasm yet!

It was always quite entertaining seeing how wet Ben would get too ;D

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Well done Sam x

8. kateincornwall

His entry is no Tom Daley and the technique is frankly dreadful , but we are getting there, baby steps and loads of praise , plus getting soaked myself too ;D

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

There will be no stopping him soon ;D

jac

10. heidrun

Caddie was always as bold as anything when it comes to water. Here she is in her first water test when she was just 14 months old. Absolutely no fear, but she has perfected her technique since then. ;D

[​IMG]

To be honest I would prefer it if she walked into the water rather than do these spectacular leaps. They are very eye catching but not very safe in unknown waters. :eek:

11. kateincornwall

Lovely photo of Caddie, bless her for the enthusiasm :) My old Lab Tess also used to do a leap of faith, a tad disconcerting at times , in fact I prefer Sams cautious entry if I`m honest , but those leaps are wonderful to see :)

12. bbrown

I don't think Riley will ever jump like Caddie!!

It will be fascinating to see how Sam and Riley are with the water when they're together :)

Can't wait!!

13. heidrun

[quote ;) author=bbrown link=topic=1803.msg14126#msg14126 date=1372089223]

It will be fascinating to see how Sam and Riley are with the water when they're together :)

Can't wait!!
    [/quote]

Ooh ladies, what's this?! Do tell us! :D ;)

14. bbrown

If we can work it out we might have a doggy date on the Friday before training at Steve and Coshys :D

Kate directed me to a lovely beach not too far from my parents and it seemed rude not to meet up if we were there!

15. kateincornwall

Looking forward to it Barbara, have told Sam he must be on his very best behaviour :)
    It is a smashing beach for dogs, they are welcome all year round and also at the beach cafe , it will be fun to see them together for sure :)

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

If we can't all be there... :( ....we must have come pictures :) :) :)

17. kateincornwall

I wish you all could be there , what a blast , wonderful chaos ;D ;D

18. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

well done sam, :) he is doing brilliant :)

19. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Pics definitely in order! Don't know if Simba has ever been in the water....something I would like to try once we are more sure of him staying nearby or at least coming when called!

Our BC was scared of the water and wouldn't go in. We were at the lake with a friend, standing on the dock, dog looking in water, me explaining about his reluctance to go in.....before I knew it she threw him in! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Needless to say he never really got over his fear of the water but he would go in just until it was too deep and he had to swim. He would swim reluctantly, but never was happy to do so. But he loved to run into the water to get a stick - as long as it wasn't too deep...

I'm still friends with that person but I was not too happy with her that day!!!

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh how exciting!! Wish we could be there!!