Umbilical hernia and neuturing

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sarah-jayne Jeffery, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Sarah-jayne Jeffery

Sarah-jayne Jeffery Registered Users

Hi everyone,
    It's my first post here but I've been hanging around and reading through previous threads for advice and tips. I don't think I've seen my issue (sorry if I'm wrong) so thought I'd create my own thread.

So I have a 12 week old male, he has a small umbilical hernia that doesn't bother him and hasn't grown or anything since we got him 4 weeks ago. Our vet has said if it hasn't closed by 4 months he will need it closing when he gets neutured at 6 months. I explained that I wasn't going to neutured him until at least 18 months, if at all. I know we cant breed from him, whjch we never planned to do anyway. But the vet is pushing, saying if he has the umbilical hernia that he will need the repair doing young and that they don't really do it as it's own surgery but usually around neuturing. So I don't know what to do now because I really wanted him to at least be fully grown before getting him done but I don't want any complications to occur by not having the hernia repaired. Any advice please?

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi Sarah-Jayne, Welcome to the forum! There is lots of evidence now that delaying or even not neutering at all can be a good choice for many dogs, so don't doubt yourself. If I were you i'd phone around a couple of other local practices and get some second opinions on having the operation independently. I hope this gets resolved for you nice and quickly. Do let us know how you get along!

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @Sarah-jayne Jeffery delaying neutering is a great choice as all the evidence is now pointing towards delayed or not at all as being the best choices. I've searched around and can find no evidence that a pup must be neutered/spayed when an umbilical hernia is repaired (If an op is in fact needed and it hasn't healed/closed naturally). The only reference I found was that it is often done at the same time while the pup is under anaesthetic so only 1 GA rather than 2. I would definitely have a chat with your vet and ask why he is recommending an early neuter to coincide with the hernia repair - is there a strongmedical reason for it. You might find that when discussed he is happy to do the hernia op separately and any neuter can be performed later. As the owner it is your choice, not his. Itmight be worth checking with another local vet for their view as well.

On a slightly different note, have you let the breeder know of your pup's hernia? A pup that has an umbilical hernia should never be bred from as there seems to be a genetic/hereditary link that pups produced could also develop umbilical hernia. It would seem logical that any link for your pup came from the sire and dam so it would be best if they weren't bred from again.

4. Sarah-jayne Jeffery

Sarah-jayne Jeffery Registered Users

Thank you for your reply. There seems to be a few vets at the practice so I will request to see a different one next time.

Hi, thank you for replying. I think i will have a chat or request a different vet within the practice next time. The breeder made me aware of the hernia when our pup had his final vet check before we picked him up, the mum isn't being bred from anymore and has been spayed. They also own the dad so there shouldn't be anymore puppies from him either.

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.