Up North Minnesota

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Bailey48, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Bailey48

Bailey48 Registered Users

Although I have had a couple of Lab-Springer mixes in the past, I have never had a purebred until two years ago after my best dog ever crossed that rainbow bridge.
    Only a couple of choices up here for real breeders, but it's amazing how one can stand out over the other. I am finding that the natural instincts of these dogs is simply amazing. We spend a lot of time with the "bumper" several times a day, unless the temp drops much below -5. I am not a trainer, and started her with simple retrieving, and recently noticed that she is responding naturally to my hand directions even though we haven't worked on that particular exercise. It has been especially interesting watching her search in the deep snow, directing her to the find only using "no" and "yes". She is relentless in her playtime/training, and hardly ever wants to quit.

2. Bailey48

I forgot to introduce my Avatar - Bailey, Amadore (amadoray), McTubb. Bird Dog Labs, 2015 Brook x Tubb litter. Two years old February 17th.

3. Bailey48

Learning to post a picture:

[​IMG]

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome to you and Bailey from me and 3 year old girl, Harley.
    She is very pretty and her coat is amazing and shiny.
    I found that my girl caught on with my hand signals really easily, without any formal training. They are very intelligent animals.

5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Hello to you and the delightfully glossy Bailey from me & my German Shepherd x Lab, Coco. I love training him, he's so quick to learn.

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello and welcome from me and Lilly!jac

7. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Welcome! Love the happy face picture of Bailey!

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello and welcome, from retrieving-mad Poppy and me! Bailey looks like a lovely, happy girl.

If you are interested in training Bailey further with directional commands, and she is already doing well with hand signals, you might also enjoy teaching her 'get back' (that is, teaching the dog, who is facing you, to turn around and run away from you, to get a dummy behind her). You do that by getting her to sit, then throwing a dummy behind her. Then you say 'get back', and use a pushing hand signal.

once she has got the idea you can take it further by walking her on the lead along a track, then stop and get her to sit. You throw a dummy (bumper) a couple of yards further along the track, then turn back with her, and walk a few yards back along the track. Get her to sit, take the lead off, and walk a few yards away. Turn to face her, and say 'get back', using your hand signal.

Sorry, got a bit carried away with my trainer hat on there for a minute!! Remember to keep it all lots of fun and to keep the distances short to begin with!

Dexter and snowbunny like this.
  9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome from Hattie 9 years and rescue boy Charlie 6 years. Bailey looks lovely. Good luck with your training, there's lots of gundog advice on the forum if you are interested :) x

10. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hello and welcome from me, Fred and Annie my 2 Labs.

11. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Bailey is lovely,glad to read you are enjoying her company and having fun with training.

Welcome to the Forum from Dexter and I x