Update on Phil and Oscar, our old labs :)

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Philsmom, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Philsmom

Philsmom Registered Users

Hi everyone!
    First, an apology for not updating in so long!
    As you may remember, a little over a year ago I adopted Phil, a very old chocolate lab, from the local shelter. In August last year I also adopted Oscar, another elderly chocolate lab.

Oscar was only with us for a few months. He had cancer in his abdomen and rapidly lost weight starting in November. I made an appointment to have him put to sleep but he chose to die at home in my arms, the night before. That was so hard. He was a good boy, very spunky despite his advanced age. He came into the shelter as a stray, and we think he was about 11. Oscar would do ANYTHING for a stick and was quite the ladies man - he loved loved loved our foster pittie, Carmen. We had to separate the two once he got sick because she would get him too riled up. Sometimes I wonder if he died from a broken heart. :(

Old Man Phil is still with us, which is a major shock considering his age. The shelter didn't disclose his age to me so we were guessing he was 12 or 13. I suspected he was older and I was RIGHT - I got my papers in the mail to renew his license (they automatically do the initial license at the shelter, so I never saw paperwork) and Phil is SEVENTEEN years old! WOAH!

We are at the end of Phil's life, and it's hard. He has bowel incontinence now and doesn't do much but sleep anymore. He still eats his can of dog food every night, on a spoon like a baby. (Here is a video I took a few months ago of Phil's evening routine https://www.facebook.com/superninjamommy/videos/vb.761144117/10152545114139118/?type=3&theater )

It's so difficult to look in Phil's eyes and know that the end is very near. He is such an incredible old boy. I am going to cry forever when his time comes.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Update on Phil and Oscar, our old labs :)

How wonderful to hear from you about Phil (Dr Old) and the suave Oscar (RIP). But so terribly sad to think that Phil has come to the end :'( Seventeen - absolutely wow. Please give him a cuddle for all of us!

You've done a great thing for these dignified old boys. You won't be the only one crying when Phil's day comes, even though we have never met him... :'(

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I think the positive thing about what you have done is to give them a happy ending to a difficult life. I can only I agine what you are going through. Big hugs x

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Dear old Phil and Oscar, they have known love with you and that is the most wonderful thing you can give them. Your heart will break when Phil goes, but he will go having known happiness toward the end of his life - such a gift you have given him.

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Thanks so much for this update, I was wondering about Phil the other day! We will be standing with you when his day comes, he's touched a lot of hearts here. Give him a special cuddle from all of us, please, and take heart in knowing that you have made his last year such a lovely one.

6. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

Just reading this made me feel very sad (and I am new to the forum so had never heard of your lovely boys before). It is a very beautiful thing you have done and are doing for your old chaps - so much better than spending the rest of their lives in a shelter situation or without such love and care as you have given them.

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh thanks so much for stopping by xxx tears are plopping on the iPad as I write this ,Phil just grabbed me when you adopted him and Oscar too ,I'm so sorry you lost him so quickly but he must have known such love at the end of his life.Dr Old is 17!,wow,what a great age.You are wonderful to him ,and we wil all feel his loss when that time comes :*

8. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Will try and reply when I am bit more composed...have to go to work and need a box of tissues first..

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

This is the first I've heard of Phil and Oscar because I've not been here long, but your story has touched me - and there are tears here, too.

Something I've heard said on here time and again that has stuck with me is that dogs have no concept nor fear of death; they simply know the love they are experiencing in the now. These two old boys have obviously been loved very, very much. Thank you for sharing.

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Tears here from me.
    Mostly for the beautiful thing you are doing for our oldies.
    Phil's mom, you are truly an angel.
    Wishing you the very best xxxx

11. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Thank you for looking after those two old souls until it's time for them to wend their way. Big hugs from here too x

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Also at work and got to compose myself before my next meeting...will write later....

13. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Tears of love here too - your old boys are new to me, I'm so happy they have has such love in their twilight years. It is a privilege to share your life with an oldie, but it's so tough.

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

So very glad to hear from you - I was thinking about Phil and Oscar at the weekend, and wondering how they were doing, or whether they were still alive. Hoping they were still with you.

You made Oscar's last few months happy and special. And Phil - what can I say? What a grand old man!! You have been a true angel to take these lovely old boys into your home and your heart. Thank you, thank you for doing that. :*

15. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

:'(
    What a beautiful old boy he is and what a wonderful thing you have done for him and Oscar, giving them a loving happy place to end their days.

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Just watched the video and I have to say he looked great in it! His eyes bright and his coat looking shiny - and with a great appetite.. You have obviously taken great care of him.

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Aw how lovely to hear from you, you are on our minds always. So very sad to hear about Oscar but the last months of his life were filled with special times and lots of love, sleep tight boy :'( :'( xx

Wow Phil is 17 that's truly amazing and again what a true gift you are giving Phil and all the dogs you rescue, they get to feel safe and loved which is they need. Most people think to rescue a puppy or younger dog but these old guys and gals need just as much love if not more, you are a lady with a truly BIG heart :* Keep posting as we love to hear from you. Big kisses and cuddles to Phil from us and a great big hug to you {{{xxxxx}}}} xxx

18. Jen

Jen Registered Users

There nothing quite like a big, old lab they're just brill'. Phil looks great for his age still bright as a button and I love the look on his face when you give the little one some food.

It's such a shame about Oscar but what your doing, giving these older fellas lots of love and happiness is wonderful.

19. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What you've done for Phil and Oscar is truly wonderful. Knowing when to let Phil go is the hardest decision, but its clear that the decision will be made with love. What more can a dog ask for?

20. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thanks for the update.

You are doing a fantastic thing for Phil (as you did for Oscar). He gets to live out the golden years of his life with somebody that will love and care for him. It sounds so simple but, sadly, not all dogs are this lucky. Well done you 8)