Update on Rehoming Decision

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jessie17, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Jessie17

Jessie17 Registered Users

First off I need to thank everyone who was so kind and patient with me as I was venting my heartbreak over considering rehoming our pup.
    I’m really pleased to say that we will not be rehoming him.
    We finally turned a corner and although there are still hurdles to overcome, both with my anxiety which has surfaced as a bit of a life-limiting issue, and also as we continue to adapt to life as dog owners, we feel past the point of no return and only a very serious life change would see him rehomed now (as with anyone else I guess).
    I will never, ever judge anyone who feels they can’t cope and that they’ve made a mistake. You cannot possibly know what it’s like until you go through it for yourself and forums like this are invaluable.
    If you ARE struggling to cope - all I will say is to give it just a little more time if you possibly can, let some of the ups and downs go by until you feel calm and make your decision from feeling in control, not when you’re feeling desperate.
    My youngest - who didn’t even particularly want a dog - is absolutely besotted by the Puppy and doesn’t even need to be asked to help. My older daughter who begged for a dog is very slowly showing more interest but it just goes to show you should NEVER get a puppy unless it’s the adults in the house that really want one (and know what they’re in for!).
    I’ve learnt so much in the last couple of months and hope that we can soon look back and say we made the decision and be glad we persevered.

Samantha Jones, MF, Shaz82 and 20 others like this.
  2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I am so pleased to have read your post , written with real positivity for a good future too . Time , such a short word but so meaningful , so I am so happy that you took your time and reached this decision ! Hoping you stay around and keep us posted on progress and life in general as a dog owning family x

Jessie17 likes this.
  3. Aitch

Aitch Registered Users

That's wonderful! There will still be hard times ahead but you will end up with a loyal, very loving friend and companion for the rest of your dog's life.
    Good luck and best wishes. :)

Elaine06 and Jessie17 like this.
  4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

so glad you're keeping him.

Jessie17 likes this.
  5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Ah, good news.
    You will still find it tough, still have ups and downs, but this thread will be a good place to come back to when you are doubting yourself again.
    No 1 is looking after yourself so so are in a good place to look after others, and reminding yourself you are only human x

Beanwood and Jessie17 like this.
  6. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Ah, great news!
    Please hang around the forum and let us know how you get on - there will still be ups and downs and "OMG what have I done" moments (I had SO many of them!) but it really is all worth it. And there will be others along behind you who will really benefit from your story, too!

Have a great Hogmanay, and all the best for 2018

Rosie and Pongo
    xxx

drjs@5 and Jessie17 like this.
  7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I'm glad you have managed to to come to a decision. There will be ups and downs, but there will be so many ups that will counteract the downs. Please do keep in touch as to how things are going.

Jessie17 likes this.
  8. Granca

Granca Registered Users

That's really good news. You sound like a very responsible dog owner and I'm so glad you've been able to come to that decision without feeling under pressure. There will still be moments of anxiety - dogs are a huge commitment and even though I've had dogs most of my life I still sometimes wonder now why I've got them if I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by other things. In reality, I wouldn't be without them, though.

Do keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on. What's your puppy's name? We would love to see some photos too!

Jessie17 likes this.
  9. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I'm so glad you're feeling better and have been able to make this very hard decision. You have some excellent words of wisdom in your post that will help a lot of people here. Please continue to share your news on how everything progresses. And I'm with @Granca , I'd love to see some photos, too. :)

Jessie17 likes this.
  10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Nice to hear your news there. I'd also add to the advice you gave, if you are struggling then talk it through (or type it through), as you did. Often an independent view can help you work through it, and help you see what you can't as you can be so wrapped up in it.

Keep on posting - it really helps.

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That’s really great news! You are sounding so much happier/more positive :) So glad it’s all looking a lot more do-able now.

12. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Good news! :) Do though take a bit of time out in the New Year to look after yourself :hug:

13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

So pleased. There will be ups and downs and do come on for a rant if you have a down, it helps:D

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh, I'm happy!! I'm sure in the long run this will all work out for you, and you'll look back at your initial posts and be amazed that you thought you could have been thinking about rehoming your beloved dog... :)

Of course there will be other times... But we are here on the forum to give advice or just listen to you voice your worries!

selina27 likes this.
  15. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

That’s really good news. I am so pleased you are keeping him. You will adapt and when the frenetic croco pup/early days have passed, your anxiety will quieten down. Please update us and share the good and the not so good :).

16. Me and my dog

Me and my dog Registered Users

That's nice to hear :) Not to say, if you had needed or need to, give your pup away, that it would be a bad thing, but just nice when things turn out positive. But I do know some of what you felt...especially when my puppy Pearl was younger...although had moments recently too...so for me it's like waves up and down. I guess it's partly to do with their growth and changes and learning as they develop.

17. blaser1975

blaser1975 Registered Users

Good news I'm glad you gave it a bit of time the croco pup will turn into your best m8 one day and this forum is the best

18. Nibbler's Mum

Nibbler's Mum Registered Users

Good news - yes we also got our puppy after older son nagging us constantly for another dog. He has never taken him a walk - think he is scared that he will run away. He is great with the dog in the house but lacks comfidence. Suggest getting your daughter a good book and taking her to training classes when you get round to it - she probably just lacks confidence too.

19. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good news.

Getting this pup will turn out to be the best thing you ever did xx

20. Inky lab

Inky lab Registered Users

You seem to have come to a thoughtful decision so I'm sure it will be the right one. I'm looking at my dog who this time last year was 12weeks, I was definitely wondering if I had made the right decision, now he is sleeping peacefully after a lovely day together. As others have said, there will still be difficult days but they get less and the good ones get more. I'll watch your progress with interest.