Update on Rue

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rue7514, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

I thought she would be getting a soft, cloth e-collar based on how they described it but nope, it's one of the big, plastic ones. I'm only going to make her wear it when we're not home. I feel so awful ..she is so confused!

I think our biggest struggle will be keeping her from jumping when she gets excited. When she saw me pull a kong out of the freezer, she immediately tried to jump up (something we're always working on, ugh!). Any tips on how to keep her calm?

[​IMG]cone by rue7514, on Flickr

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Update on Rue

Aww, she looks so sad :'(
    I brought a treat game where Harley had to turn it and lift flaps to find the treats - this was fab for a good half hour each time (refilling some of the flaps randomly!). I also played 'find it'. Hid treats in a different room and told her to find them. Harley slept quite a bit for the first few days. I think I took her for a short lead walk on about day 3/4.
    Glad dyes home with you now though. Big hugs x

3. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

[quote author=Naya link=topic=9003.msg128535#msg128535 date=1417804769]
    Aww, she looks so sad :'(
    I brought a treat game where Harley had to turn it and lift flaps to find the treats - this was fab for a good half hour each time (refilling some of the flaps randomly!). I also played 'find it'. Hid treats in a different room and told her to find them. Harley slept quite a bit for the first few days. I think I took her for a short lead walk on about day 3/4.
    Glad dyes home with you now though. Big hugs x
    [/quote]

Should I hold off on short walks for the first few days then?

4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I'm so sorry for you, it killed me when Pongo had to wear the cone of shame and he hated it so much. If it makes it any better, he also had the horrid plastic sort and he did get used to it after a day or so. We took it off him whenever we were able to be with him 100% to stop him scratching, but he had to wear it all night... and he didn't seem to mind after a couple of days.

Poor, poor Rue.... and poor you. Hang in there both of you, it will be over soon.

Rosie

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Rue7514 link=topic=9003.msg128536#msg128536 date=1417804911]

[/quote]

Yes, we were told no walks for a week then gentle, lead walks only for another week.

:)

6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Get her a Buster Collar as soon as possible , Millie didn't need one post spay but she did have to have one after her cornea transplant op , it was a life saver, soft and gentle, she never objected once . When she was spayed last January , I took her for ten minute on lead walks three times a day for a few days , then gradually for longer, but no off lead for about ten days, good luck, it will soon be over

7. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[/quote]

Yes. Don't do anything that could pull on the wound. And give Rue a pat from Holly.

8. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Poor Rue, she looks so sad...some good quiet time and cuddles for the next few days...

gentle hugs from Me and Bella :heart:

9. Granca

Granca Registered Users

[/quote]

Yes, the vet told me just to take mine into the garden on her lead for the first few days, even after her first post-op check. I didn't start lead walks again until after about ten days, when she'd had her sign-off check from the nurse.

It's evidently also important not to climb stairs or jump onto furniture(!) or into the car. I used a stair gate and confined myself much of the time to the kitchen too, as unfortunately our sitting room is upstairs. It's soon over, though, but it seems ages at the time! Kongs and chewy toys kept Tuppence happy-ish. The tricky bit was not allowing the two labs to play.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Aw, poor Rue.

Comfy cones are great - you can get them next day delivery. Those hard plastic ones are a real nightmare.

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

They do their job well (as in protecting a wound), but are just not great for the dog....

I'm sure she'll be feeling so much better soon :)

12. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

Ugh, so far, things aren't going great. Rue started licking her stitches quite a bit once I took the cone off, so I put it back on. Then she started running around all crazy trying to get it off, which I know she can't be doing right now. She has also started chewing the inside (plastic) flap on the cone. Disaster! I tried taking it off a couple more times and she would soon start the licking again. I tried distracting her with her favorite chew toys, but she wasn't having it. And you can only give them so many treats....

I'm going to go to the pet store here in a bit (still early in the US), and see if they have something more comfortable. Anything has to be better than that dreadful cone. I assume vets still use them because they're cheap.

13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

You could put a tee shirt on to stop her licking the wound until you can get a soft collar.

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, poor Rue! This thread has inspired me to get a Buster collar now for when Willow has her spay, and to have in the cupboard "just in case" for the future.

Willow and Shadow send gentle licks x

15. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Aw, poor pup. :'(

16. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Poor girl. Hope you've managed to find a softer collar at your pet store.

17. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

Yesterday was much better. She rarely tried messing with her stitches and wasn't too active. Bought a new e-collar and she has only had to wear it when she goes to bed. Today however, she has had MUCH more energy, ah! Keeping her from running and jumping has been so difficult. Trying to keep her distracted with chew toys and bones, but when she gets excited, she jumps.

At least she doesn't have much interest in her incision now. Just a few more days to get through!

18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Glad Rue is recovering well :) hopefully the next few days aren't too mayhem for you!

19. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

That is good news, hopefully it'll all be a distant memory for you both very soon :)

20. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Sounds as if you're over the worst and can soon get on with a normal doggie life. :)