Upset tummy/diarrhea

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by cubby, Oct 20, 2014.

1. cubby

cubby Registered Users

My pup is 10 weeks old now and she's been suffering from a few days of an upset tummy. It started Thursday. She had 3 poop accidents in her crate. One she was in her crate from 8:15-11:15 in the morning. She pooped in there at that time and then I stuck her in her crate for maybe 20 minutes that night while I put my kids to bed and she had diarrhea again, then the next morning she woke up and 6am and I fund another prop accident, more gross diarrhea!

So that morning she had a vet appointment for her 2nd set of shots, so I took her to that and told the vet about here tummy problems. I think she could have gotten in to some wet cat food. The vet said that would definitely give her diarrhea. She took her temp and it was fine. She thought the dog looked good. She had gained 3 pounds in 10 days. She was in good spirits. She suggested waiting it out and Trying chicken and rice to clear up her tummy problems. So the rest of Friday was fine. Saturday she was ok, except at night she had another diarrhea accident in the kitchen that my husband didn't mention to me. Then Sunday morning I h her whine and I jumped up to check on her. She is sleeping right next to my side of the bed. I turned the light on and she had diarrhea all over her crate. I am a light sleeper and she didn't whine before hand to let me know. I think it comes on so quickly she doesn't even know it when she sound asleep.

So tonight I fed her chicken and plain rice. I plan to do that again tomorrow and probably the next day too.

I could have her stools checked again, but she was wormed 3 times at the breed with a medication called Panaar. The Breeder said she had no worms, and her first vet visit with us on 10/6 confirmed that.

She really doesn't seem sick besides the diarrhea. She plays, eats, drinks, etc....

Any ideas what this could be? She's had 2 sets of vaccines with distemper/parvovirus. She does tend to eat leaves and grass and dirt outside. I try to stop her as much as I can.

She weighs 20 pounds now and is 10 weeks old.

2. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Re: Upset tummy/diarrhea

Aw I hope your little pup is feeling better soon. We are currently on the chicken and rice diet as Bob has been runny since last Thursday. I'm taking him to the vets at 2pm if we don't get a firmer poo by then! He's 9 weeks and only about 5lbs in weight - he's a little dot.

Hope you get some answers soon.

Lou x

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It could be a bug - in an adult dog, I don't worry for a few days, dogs do get these things, but then it's a vet visit. In a small pup, I'd go back to the vet pretty quick.

4. cubby

cubby Registered Users

Well like I said there is a chance she ate wet cat food. I saw her do it last week and I quickly picked up the dish. Then she had her first diarrhea episodes. But then my husband saw a cat dish on the floor again, then the next day, more diarrhea. My kids might have thought it was OK to let her eat the leftover cat food. I've told them that is a huge no-no from now on. I am OK with waiting another day or 2 before we go back to the vet. I am going to feed the chicken and rice for a couple of days and if its not better we'll make a vet appointment.

She seems fine and is happy, its really just the diarrhea that concerns me. If she still has diarrhea on Wednesday morning I will bring the vet a new stool sample as well.