1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Vacuum Hell

Discussion in 'Products for dogs & their owners' started by Alfie and me, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alfie and me

Alfie and me Registered Users

I am at my wits end with trying to decide on a vacuum which will actually pick up the dog hair on my carpet. Any recommendations would be hugely appreciated as my carpet is starting to look more like Alfie everyday!!!

2. Kobe

Kobe Registered Users

Have you tried a Kaercher shop vac? They get everything!
    Obviously not the fanciest looking thing, mainly meant for workshops or cleaning up at a building site, but 90% of the time I use my shop vac for my house instead of the nice fancy one I bought for my house.
    The drum is huge, can be used with or without a bag, the brush is soft and won't damage wood floors and works great on carpets too.

They do make models meant for home and carpet that are a bit prettier and probably have hepa filters and all that, but ours was purchased primarilyto be a workshop vac until I realised how good it is. Now I take it outside and vacuum my sidewalk in front of the house (winter salt and grit in springtime), my patio, and last week I vacuumed my grass!! Felt a bit silly but we had a yew tree we had to cut down because of the puppy so I wanted to make very sure there were no rogue needles or branches left on the lawn.

Alfie and me likes this.
  3. Atemas

Atemas Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have a Dyson cordless V8 and it is brill. Use it twice a day on my sitting room carpet which is constantly covered in yellow and black hair - particularly bad at the moment.

Alfie and me likes this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have a Shark lift-away, it’s excellent.

:)

Alfie and me likes this.
  5. MF

MF Registered Users

That’s why your carpet was so hairless in that other photo! Twice a day - that’s dedication!!

My sister has the robot vacuum cleaner. It does a great job, and best of all, all by itself! I’m tempted to buy one...

Alfie and me and drjs@5 like this.
  6. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have recently bought a Shark after recommendations on here. I got the Shark DuoClean (corded) - it's BRILLIANT! Tiny dust bin, but it's easy and quick enough to empty. Brushes get lots of hair tangled around, but again, easy enough to remove. It's ultra-manoeuvrable around furniture and its dead easy to reach under my new sofas, which are on legs rather than castors, and therefore need cleaning under daily :rolleyes:.

Alfie and me likes this.
  7. Atemas

Atemas Supporting Member Forum Supporter

:) - necessary unfortunately. Red’s hair is unbelievable. As I type this on my iPad, there is a layer of her hair over it and all over my clothes and the carpet looks like I haven’t done it today and I have twice :rolleyes: - just as well I love her :).

Alfie and me, drjs@5 and MF like this.
  8. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I’ve got a shark too and it is so good

Alfie and me likes this.
  9. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The vacuums with a cord are definitely more powerful (as they actually have more power) but I do find the stick vacuum really useful. We have a Hoover stick vacuum that we use daily and a Dyson (corded) upright that we use weekly.

Alfie and me likes this.
  10. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Shark lift away here too. Brilliant!

I did have a Henry Xtra which has a turbo head for pet hair. I thought that one was good until the grandchildren played with their cars on the sitting room carpet and scuffed up piles of black hair.

selina27 likes this.
  11. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I’m going to be buying a new cordless vacuum for our place in Spain because transporting the Dyson between the two homes, as we have been doing, is inconvenient! I think I’ll get the Shark and then I’ll be able to compare and contrast with the V6 :D

Alfie and me likes this.
  12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Moo is scared of Henry's it's the eyes.:eek:
    I got a dyson just an ordinary one it does fine. I'm down to 2 dogs now and neither are great shedders so I only have to dyson every 3 days.

Alfie and me likes this.
  13. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have a Henry too, it's fine for my level of housekeeping :)

Cass loves it -- she's spent a lot of time inviting him to play :)

14. Snowy

Snowy Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think the choice can come down to:

- type of floor/carpet.
    - how often one wants to vacuum.
    - target cleanliness standard.

We use a Roomba 700 robot (it has the rubber brush, not bristles), which works on its own. Cleaning standards are very good on hard floors and quite good on carpet/rug. The fact that it can run often (daily if needed), can cover up for it missing the odd pieces of hair. Emptying the thing is always a surprise, we are always in awe of how much dust/hair it finds.

Then every week (or three) Mrs Snowy does the house with a Puzer central vacuum cleaner. Because it vents outside, it doesn't end up blowing dust around (like cylinder machines). The downsides are that the longest hose is unwieldly, and also you need to open a window whilst using it, because otherwise the pressure drop inside the house causes soot to get sucked down the chimney. :eek:

I recently had a fever to buy a handheld hoover for bedding, but after reading lots of reviews, I decided to just buy an additional short "telescopic" hose for the central system.

Alfie and me likes this.
  15. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

WOw! That's impressive. Are these central systems common in Finland? We don't really have them here.

Alfie and me likes this.
  16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Wooden floors throughout our house with rugs so we have a Dyson, it does a great job! :) x

Alfie and me likes this.
  17. Snowy

Very common. Some people love them, some hate them. Positives are that it doesn't create air currents and that all dirt and dust is taken out of the living area (no matter how good the filter is in a cylinder model, some dust will always pass through it and back in to your room. Central systems are popular with allergy suffers). The downside is the long hose required, and they are best installed when the house is built (because the hoses are inside the walls).

But the "soot being sucked down the chimney" is not so much because of the sucking power of the central vacuum, but more because of the installation and house structure.

(The below info has little to do with vacuum cleaners)

These central vacuum cleaners are usually located in a room outside of the "living area" of the house (e.g. the "boiler room"); and the living area is constructed so it is totally air-tight (apart from the chimneys of course). So when air is sucked through the vacuum system, it is being sucked out of the (air tight) living area and this air needs to be replaced from somewhere.

You might wonder that an air tight house must be a bit stuffy, so I try to explain: The air is changed through a central air circulation system. A system of ducting and vents sucks air out of bathroom/kitchen/utility room. This warm/damp air goes back to a heat exchanger, where it is used to pre-heat fresh air being sucked in from outside. This "clean" air is then blown through ducts in to the living areas.

There have been massive problems in Finland with mould in houses, schools, hospitals and other public buildings. This can lead to poor indoor air quality, and some people suffer bad reactions. To help combat this, it is a legal requirement to install air recirculation systems in new-build homes. This helps keep the inside air dry and also helps reduce heating costs, because the heat-recovery systems recover about 80% of the heat from the "waste" air.

edzbird likes this.
  18. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

This is fascinating so I've googled, and we have them in NZ! Here's a helpful diagram:

http://www.beam.co.nz/installation/how-a-central-vacuum-works/

I understand what you mean now about the actual vacuum unit staying in a separate room, how amazing, no lugging around a heavy unit. I'm sold! If we ever build a house I'm absolutely installing one of these.

19. Snowy

SwampDonkey likes this.