1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Vacuum robot

Discussion in 'Products for dogs & their owners' started by May W, Mar 12, 2018.

1. May W

May W Registered Users

Hi everyone! I'm new here. It's the first time I have a lab. I love everything about my puppy except the hair and the dirt he brings in. Does anyone use vacuum robots? Do you recommend any particular ones? Do you think a 10 months old puppy will kill the bot?

Also, my lab is such messy drinker. Unlike the small dogs who lick water, my lab seems to bite water and then leaves a long trail of water when he's done. That mixed with the hair is rather unsightly. Is there any tips from experienced parents?

2. SilverFalcon

SilverFalcon Registered Users

Yes we have a Neato, it works ok for a light cleaning but a deep clean with a proper vacuum is still needed once a week, and of course it doesn’t do stairs. I wouldn’t say the Neato is amazing though, if it broke I’d research different brands. The intake tends to clog from the hair so that the bin doesn’t fill. Still, it’s good enough that I still have it run daily.

I don’t think your pup would attack it, at least ours didn’t :)

If you have Amazon Prime, they are great at returning pretty much anything bought with Prime so you could always try it and return it if you don’t like it.

Hate to break it to you with the water, but my dog started life as a messy drinker and never stopped being a messy drinker :p He will leave little puddles several feet away from the water bowl :facepalm: I don’t have any tips other than leaving little washable kitchen rugs in the path of the drips but that isn’t much of a solution.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I vacuum every day with a Shark vacuum. It’s light and easy to get out so it’s a quick job.

For the water I use a big mat (made for incontinent grannies to sit on) and I have an old tea towel hung up near it to wipe any drips straight away so they don’t get mixed with dog hair. It works well .

:)

4. Atemas

Atemas Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have a Dyson cordless handheld vac and it is brill. You get about 20 minutes before it needs recharging which is just long enough to thoroughly do our sitting room carpet and the kitchen and utility tiles. Since using this, I only need to do it once a day (twice if we have guests) and the floors look ace.

Yes we get a bit of water splashed round near the water bowl but to be honest it’s in the utility and I don’t fuss much about it. Quick once over with a cloth if feel the need.

selina27 likes this.
  5. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

You may need to spend some time on desensitization of pup to the vacuum robot to ensure that pup isn't reactive to it.

6. May W

May W Registered Users

Thanks everyone! There are a handful of bots on Amazon. I think I'll take a look there. And as far as the water goes, I did move it to the corner of the room already. I guess I'll have to mop more often. Or, has anyone taught a dog to wipe his mouth on a towel? :)

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I had a Roomba and it was good for light stuff, but no way would it cope with a Labrador in moult. Its capacity simply wasn't large enough.

I use a Dyson cordless and find it faster than the Roomba, where I had to arrange furniture and dog beds every time I wanted to use it.

8. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

There was a posting on a local Facebook pets page of a Roomba that had Roombaad through an "accident" while the owner was out - poo everywhere! Beware....

snowbunny likes this.