very quick question about peeing when meeting other dogs

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Tatti, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Tatti

Tatti Registered Users

Hi folks,

I know I ask questions all the time (I assume that's ok) - I promise to give back as soon as I have learned anything at all :-/

Anyway, yesterday I had a visit from my aunt who has a grumpy old collie cross. When they arrived Tatti was in her pen and she was still in there when they entered the room. I let her out so they could meet but noticed that she had peed on the floor (inside her pen and then outside her pen).

They have met once before and the older dog has growled at her and snapped a bit but mostly just ignored her.

Although she is only 14 weeks, we haven't had an accident indoors for about 3 weeks and even then, it was my fault. she has been amazing with toileting outdoors since we got her (only 5 accidents in nearly 6 weeks).

In the park I have noticed that she is very submissive to other dogs - she puts her tail right down and rolls straight onto her back as soon as she meets them - I put this down to age but am now worrying that she is nervous of other dogs. she does then chase them and run around with them so I suppose she cant be too afraid???

So, is this something I should worry about? Is it nervousness - in which case how can I help? Is it excitement? (it was the first dog we have brought into the house but she hasn't peed out of excitement before (and she gets very excited sometimes), and will this have an impact on toilet training (having peed in her pen)?

Or is this just completely normal for puppies and I shouldn't worry?

We start puppy classes (positive training) on Sunday so I hope she will get to have lots of good experiences with dogs her own age.

Thanks,

Lou

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

No need to worry at all imo - it's excitement.

My niece's Springer - Bryn - still does this occasionally!

(He's nearly 3!)

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi there Lou, I wouldn't worry too much. She was probably anxious about the collie cross, and this made her wee. As for rolling on her back in the park, this is normal submissive behaviour and will ensure that she doesn't get bitten! My dog is 3 1/2 and still lies down when she sees other dogs and rolls on her back with larger bitches - but as soon as she sees the other dog is friendly, then she is ready to sniff and have a run-around. It's a lot easier than with a dog who tends to muscle up to other dogs, I can tell you!

The more good experiences she has, the less worried by other dogs she will become. Next time you have a visitor, in my experience it is easier to meet up outside on neutral territory, and then enter the house together once they have settled down. It's always a bit tricky bringing a strange dog into your house; rather stressful for both dogs.

Hey - keep asking with any questions you have!! :)

4. Tatti

Tatti Registered Users

Thanks both, good to know. by the time she has grown up i'll know what i'm doing :)

I really do love this forum. I don't know what I would do without it.

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

If you find the secret of knowing what you're doing please let the rest of us know :D:D

Weeing with excitement is normal. Juno has been known to wee when she sees our vet whom she adores and also wen we see our trainer if we haven't seen her for a few weeks.

Juno is also a little on the submissive side when meeting strange dogs until she knows thy are OK and then is happy running around with them.

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'd say it's a bit of anxiety or nervousness. It's pretty normal for a little puppy. She'll most likely grow out of it. Just stay relaxed about it and obviously never scold her (I'm sure you're not!) - she can't help it and it's normal doggie communication anyway.

I wouldn't worry. Just try to make the interactions with the grumpy collie as stress free and calm as possible. At the dog park I don't think you need to do anything different.