Very thin

Discussion in 'Working Trials' started by gad, May 10, 2014.

1. gad

gad Guest

I meant the posts in this section of the forum ;)
    Don't we have any trials enthusiasts?

2. heidrun

heidrun Moderator

Re: Very thin

I'm a field trial enthusiast but unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about working trials! ??? :)

3. Merla

Merla Registered Users

It's very big at my obedience club, but I can only look up with envy to the lofty heights of tracking etc, and I can't see it ever being a priority for us. Most people who do trials at our place have GSDs or Tervurens. (I do love the Tervurens though, so many dogs, so little time!)

4. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I shall have to do more reading. I have watched trials (with dummies) on you tube and love it. As a vegetarian though, I'd have problems with dead or half dead ducks or even seeing them flying free one moment and dropping lifeless the next. I had better stop there before I get on my soap box and give you the full speech. ::)

5. Jane Martin

Just glanced at Pippa's article about working trials and it wouldn't appeal to me. It reminded me a bit of show jumping; which I don't like at all (love dressage though). I think I'd like the other trials so I might look into that more. Have whistle, might as well use it.

6. heidrun

heidrun Moderator

[quote author=Jane Martin link=topic=5866.msg75461#msg75461 date=1399705996]
    Just glanced at Pippa's article about working trials and it wouldn't appeal to me. It reminded me a bit of show jumping; which I don't like at all (love dressage though). I think I'd like the other trials so I might look into that more. Have whistle, might as well use it.
    [/quote]

Not sure what you mean by 'the other trials' Jane, but if it is field trials then that might not be for you, because field trials are always on game.

7. Jane Martin

You can tell I'm a beginner can't you?? What appeals to me is Labradors sent out to find dummies. You hear the bang and a dummy flies through the air and the dog has to retrieve. You see the handler giving commands physically and with the whistle. Whatever that's called, I really like it. I just wouldn't go out on real shoots.
    Please stop my ignorance and tell me what that's called!

8. heidrun

heidrun Moderator

Dummies are used to replicate game and I use them in everyday gundog training. Competitions that involve dummies but also sometimes cold game and which are held outside of the shooting season are called working tests. :)

9. Jane Martin

Looked on the Gundog forum and I think it's gundog tests that I like the sound of. Does that fit my description?

10. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

I think you mean working tests, Jane. I went on one a few days ago - brilliant fun! Over 50 dogs competed in our class, with five different tasks each dog had to do, all involving retrieving one or more dummies. The dogs love it! It sounds like that's the sort of thing you'd be interested in.

11. Jane Martin

Yes! How would I find one to go and watch before my pup comes? Or even for her to watch too? I am near Windsor.

12. heidrun

heidrun Moderator

Your best bet would be to join a gundog club. Most clubs hold training sessions throughout spring and summer. But minimum age for a pup is usually about 6 months. :)

13. Jane Martin

There's a novice and puppy one at Petworth in Hampshire coming up. (17th May) I will investigate further. Perhaps you just can't turn up and watch.

14. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

You probably can just turn up, Jane. And Petworth is lovely - is it being held on the estate? That would be gorgeous.

15. heidrun

heidrun Moderator

I think it would depend in which part of the estate the working test is going to be held. Through my Clumber spaniel connection I know Petworth and parts of the estate which includes a big shoot are private. I would give the working test secretary a ring just to be on the safe side. :)

16. Jane Martin

OK, I am finding the research a bit slow, having been on The Kennel Club - confusing - I stumbled across a list put up by a breeder (beginning with W ::)). Then I googled to see that the Petworth one was on.
    I am guessing I phone the secretary of the Hampshire Gundog Cub?
    Not to worry, I will persevere and see what happens. Doing all of this while preparing for the new floor to be laid on Monday - chaos here!

17. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm not sure where the Hampshire Gundog Society are running their working tests this year but it might be worth checking them out. Its cheap to join and they run training through the summer, working tests, trials and shows.

They have some very accomplished Labrador people amongst them :)

18. Jane Martin

Thanks Barbara, have emailed them. I think it would be great to go and see. So, fingers crossed.