Vet plan or DIY

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by MattyG, Apr 23, 2020.

1. MattyG

MattyG Registered Users

Hi, my vet has made me aware they do a monthly direct debit pet plan, around £15-17 per month depending on his size.

Just wondering if people usually go for these things or just buy things when needed - vaccinnes, work\flea treatment etc.

I want to do the best for my dog but if its prudent to do everything as and when then I will go down that route. Surely its gonna cost less than £180 per year of routine vets stuff??

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Definitely DIY. You can buy womers and flea stuff just the same but cheaper online:)

3. MattyG

MattyG Registered Users

Yeah that's what I was leaning towards TBH. Thanks.

I don't really see much more benefit by using a vet plan

Edp likes this.
  4. Christina2807

Christina2807 Registered Users

We have a vet plan and have saved more than we have paid so far. This is mainly because they provide discount on certain things and with Luna have an issue with her stomach when she was 5 months we had to buy food from the vet.

But I am looking to consider putting the money aside and paying it myself but so far it has been invaluable. She does need her nails clipped and I wouldn't know where to start with this.

5. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Personally, I don't use most of the things offered in these plans anyway - because in my eyes they result in over-treating dogs with preventatives and vaccines.

Given that I only give puppy vaccines and 1st year booster, and that I get veterinary wormer and prescription-strength tick collars cheaply from online pet pharmacies and don't treat for fleas unless I see them... it just isn't very cost-effective at all for me...