Vet visit before UK trip

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Apr 30, 2015.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Just back from taking Willow and Shadow to the vet to get their tapeworm and kennel cough treatments for travelling. Poor Willow was very stressed and throwing out every calming signal in the book. When Jordi, the vet, did the initial exam, she threw herself on her back in a submissive gesture. He was great with her, giving her massive tummy scratches, even making her leg do the involuntary scratching thing :)

Both he and the veterinary nurse, Cristina, gave both of them loads of fuss and loads of time. Most importantly, loads of treats!

I was surprised that the kennel cough was an injection, because I've heard it's normally a nasal spray. Hopefully it will be OK with the kennel they're staying at overnight on J's birthday...

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Re: Vet visit before UK trip

I'm sure there will be no problem with the kennel cough as long as their heath cards have the appropriate stickers/signatures. I don't think it's important how they receive the vaccine, just that they have the right vaccine. I seem to remember my Spinone back in the late 1990s, early 2000s had a jab for kennel cough.

Your vet, and veterinary nurse, sounds really good and works to have the dogs relaxed with him. it's so much easier if our dogs are relaxed with the vet.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=MaccieD link=topic=10766.msg160220#msg160220 date=1430418413]
    Your vet, and veterinary nurse, sounds really good and works to have the dogs relaxed with him. it's so much easier if our dogs are relaxed with the vet.
    [/quote]

Yes, they are good. Willow has been very stressed at the vet since her spay, so anything they can do to help her relax is a bonus. She actually trots in what appears to be quite happily, but she's completely hyper when she's there, jumping on everyone to try to lick their faces, panting like mad and whining a lot. She didn't wee on the floor this time, though, which was a bonus ;)

Talking of wee, Shadow did his first proper cocked-leg wee earlier on. He's lifted his leg to mark for about a week, but not done a real wee until today. Sadly, he decided to do it right where Willow was sniffing a lamp post. So it went ALL over her head. It was dripping off her, poor girl!! She's not had the best day!! ;D

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=10766.msg160226#msg160226 date=1430418857]

Talking of wee, Shadow did his first proper cocked-leg wee earlier on. He's lifted his leg to mark for about a week, but not done a real wee until today. Sadly, he decided to do it right where Willow was sniffing a lamp post. So it went ALL over her head. It was dripping off her, poor girl!! She's not had the best day!! ;D
    [/quote]

Apologies to Willow, but I had to laugh, actually still laughing as I type, it's such a vivid image. Not sure that I should congratulate Shadow on his successful cocked-leg, but that was some wee :D

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

;D ;D