Vets opinions differ on Vaccination schedule

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by cmac, Jan 9, 2015.

1. cmac

cmac Registered Users

Hi all. Moderately sleep deprived so apologies if this makes no sense.
    Our new arrival "Abbey" was vaccinated on her 48th day (by her breeder's vet) and is due her second round of shots on the 21st. Having her in town with me yesterday I decided to book her in with our vet just to make sure they would have the vaccinations in stock. This veterinarian practice looks after our large animal requirements (we run a small herd of pedigree cattle) and I they come highly recommended by various sources.
    As luck would have it only the main receptionist was available but she was adamant that initial shots at 6 weeks are not effective and that we will need to start all over again today. I had a lovely conversation with the breeder's vet and she confirmed that the data sheets for the vaccinations used stipulate appropriate use from week 6 onwards and that they have never had any issue with this.
    My concern is one of over-administration of vaccine at such a young age, and the need to maintain a good working relationship with the vets practice if I decide to instruct them to adhere to the current vaccination schedule.
    Now I know only I can answer my own question/doubts/concerns, but I'm wondering is this normal enough and nothing to get too worked-up about?
    thanks.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Vets opinions differ on Vaccination schedule

This has come up before on the forum.

[quote author=Lochan link=topic=6382.msg84496#msg84496 date=1401734125]
    I would do exactly as described by your vet. 6 weeks vaccination - very unlikely to work at all due to interference by maternal antibodies. So essentially the six week shot is null and void. Routine vaccinations at 8 and 10/12 weeks are the norm, but current WSAVA guidelines are to repeat the parvovirus component at 16 weeks to catch the small (but significant) minority of pups which do not develop immunity to parvovirus at 8 and 10/12 weeks. I have vaccinated all my own pups at 8, 12 and 16 weeks, but got them out and about on fields, beaches etc from 13 weeks (low risk parvo areas). It may be of interest to point out that the last 4 cases of clinical parvovirus infection we have seen in our practice have all been in pups between 6-12 months of age who have had 2 parvo vaccines as puppies finishing at 10-12 weeks of age. So the advice you have been given is immunologically sound and completely up-to-date in accordance with international guidelines.
    [/quote]

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

4. cmac

cmac Registered Users

Thanks JullieT. It must be the sleep deprivation, but I could swear I did a proper search of the forum for this issue and came up empty handed. Most informative.

5. CDM

CDM Registered Users

I had Bella vaccinated at 9 and 11 weeks ( breeders advice was 10 and 12 ). There's also been discussions about a third parvo vaccine at 16 weeks so I asked my vet. His advice was that in his professional opinion she didn't need another and they only give two, unless she was a Rottweiler , then they always advise 3?! But I know others have had 3 , interesting how all vets differ!!!!

6. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=CDM link=topic=9444.msg135915#msg135915 date=1420818450]
    I had Bella vaccinated at 9 and 11 weeks ( breeders advice was 10 and 12 ). There's also been discussions about a third parvo vaccine at 16 weeks so I asked my vet. His advice was that in his professional opinion she didn't need another and they only give two, unless she was a Rottweiler , then they always advise 3?! But I know others have had 3 , interesting how all vets differ!!!!
    [/quote]

Yes, an awful lot depends on geopraphical area.

7. cmac

cmac Registered Users

Not long back from the vet and can report a storm in a teacup. My usual large animal vet was waiting for us when we arrived and he couldn't understand why I was talking about starting vaccinations all over again. A bit of internal training required at the practice, I reckon.
    Anyway, his recommendations are usually 8 and 11/12 weeks, but since Abbey had her first at 48 days there's no need to start over. His main concern is that people don't wait too long before the second round of vaccinations.