Waking too early and destroying bedding

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Janice McClelland, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Janice McClelland

Janice McClelland Registered Users

Hi, my 8 month lab Baxter had been sleeping outside in his pen/kennel but barked the odd time at night and neighbours complained - I had no choice but to move him into the kitchen at night where he already has a bed for daytime. First 10 nights were great, but now he's wakening at 4 am and ripping his bed to bits. Worried that this could extend to chewing furniture. I did use a crate when he was really young but haven't for months. I don't like the idea of him being in a crate as he's a big dog. I've left chew toys about that he only gets at night. Janice

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

If it’s a nice big crate (42”) he will be fine in it overnight. You may need to reintroduce it gradually.

Have you tried different bedding? Keir rips Vet bed to shreds, we’ve had to put all ours away, but he’s fine with blankets.

3. Janice McClelland

Thank you replying, appreciate it. I will try changing bedding to a blanket want to hold off on crate if I can!

Boogie likes this.
  4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Is there something that's waking him up early and making him a bit stressed? Could be a milkman, boiler coming on, neighbor leaving their house?
    Could you possibly sleep downstairs for a few days and be near him to see what's going on?

5. Janice McClelland

Well to be honest I go to bed very early about 9 pm so it's just that Baxter has had enough sleep I think! Janice

kateincornwall likes this.