Walking belt

Discussion in 'Using the bargains and best buys section' started by Cupcase, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

Hi , I have ordered a walking belt from SASS and I was wondering if any of you have used one.
    I have been practicing all week with off lead walking for Cupar, he's been brilliant.
    I decide to take both dogs today and near disaster.

Cassie has issues with other dogs that run at her. So Cupar is off lead and I am being taken for a walk by Cassie. Across the field a small terrier decides to run to my dogs. I call Cupar to me, he instantly comes, other dogs owner is standing roaring for her dog. Cassie then sees dog and pulls even more, in meantime I am trying to attach lead to Cupar, but he's decided I wasn't quick enough with his reward and uses the treat bag as a nose bag. So one pup eating all the rewards, 23 kg lab lunging at this tiny terrier trying to make itself look bigger than it is and me trying to find another pair of hands.

Silly women eventually arrived and stood saying the terriers name. I was getting angry by this point I actually told her to get her dog On a lead as my dog doesn't like other dogs running at her.

So hence the walking belt. I hope that I can clip leads to belt and be better balanced and if need be can manage to stand in one place while not holding Cassies lead
    to allow me two hands to connect Cupar back on lead.

Please tell me this is possible.

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Walking belt

It is possible :)

I have a lead that will turn into a belt/lead and it's great. The other thing I would say is the situation you describe is one where a slip lead comes into it's own as you only need one hand to pop it over the dogs head. I completely understand that not everyone is a fan but in a tight corner you can turn you lead temporarily into a slip lead by popping the lead through the handle. Use it to get hold of your dog, once the distraction/danger is past go back to business as usual. You can even clip it on whilst using the other end as a slip lead if it's long enough and then lift the loop back over their head and you've got them by their collar/harness again.

3. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

Barbara i do agree that a slip lead would be good, but only in a well behaved dog.

I carry so much stuff. Over the years I have tried to find the ideal solution to walking lead reactive dogs.

Now I carry a shoulder bag that weighs nothing. It has lots of pouches. One for phone , one for poop bags, another for car keys, than another for kong thingy on a rope and a pouch for my hankies lavender oil lip balm, you get the picture. Jacket pockets are useless. Now I find I need a separate treat bag. So I have adapted a treat bag with brake pipe to hold it open,(allows easy access for my hand and allows for quick delivery.) the treat bag fits in beside the kong on a rope.

Now when I bend down to attach Cupars lead , the bag is now at his head height. Food on tap. So with one hand I am trying to get Cupar out of the bag and attach his lead.

One day I hope to be able to put on all my gear and pick up the dogs lead and go for a walk, carrying said lead. I have had this privilege with the most biddable labrador ever, but many rescues later those days are a thing of my past. Nowadays i have all this stuff to take and thats not to mention the gear the dogs wear.
    Cupar is going to my saving grace. Ha! Ha!

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I did some training with Charlie with his lead attached to a belt - it was fantastic. It was easier on me, and allowed me to concentrate on loose lead without messing with the lead. It was in his lunging period, and I felt a lot more in control that trying to hold the lead.

I also recently gave in and ordered a training vest. Boy, it's an ugly canvas green. But my balls, dummies and reward toys are in the back pocket, my treats in a large front pocket, another large front pocket for "stuff" and even an iphone / poo bag sized small pocket on the strap. I have to say, it's fab.

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

JulieT which training vest did you buy? I keep thinking about getting one but that is far as I get.

6. bbrown

I'm definitely not suggesting using a slip lead on a dog that's not well behaved in anything other emergency circumstances. It was only a suggestion for if you need a fast catch with one hand for some reason :)

I have a training vest too and they are good. I cant remember which one though. Mines got zips to close the back pocket. Some of them are permanently open.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=8581.msg121182#msg121182 date=1414963697]
    JulieT which training vest did you buy? I keep thinking about getting one but that is far as I get.
    [/quote]

I bought two. The first one was from sporting saint and was sort of a back rucksack and front pockets on webbing straps - more straps than vest. It was difficult to manage, I found. The straps kept getting tangled every time I took it off and put it down. It was like Christmas fairy lights! Put it down straight, picked it up all tangled.

The second one is more sort of "garment like" and is much better. It's this one:

http://www.firedog.eu/firedog/waxed-cotton-collection/firedog-waxed-cotton-dummy-vest-hunter-l

Pretty - it most definitely is not! Super practical though... despite it's ugliness, I have to say I recommend it...

8. bbrown

9. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

SASS walking belt arrived today.

I was beginning to doubt my judgment in purchasing one of these belts , I'm only five foot and eight and a half stone. My OH thought I was mad.

I really can't believe how freeing it is. The weather is wet and very windy today, so perfect excuse to walk both dogs together. The vision I had was of me stepping outside and one or other dog seeing another dog and I would land on my back, getting dragged behind two labradors, one wanting to have a go and the other wanting to play and me in a heap in the middle.

Instead I let go of both leads and and used my legs as anchors. At the sight of people took hold of the leads
    And guided both dogs past. Did have a "you plonker moment "when a free range jack russel ran up to us , next to the road. I would normally walk on past but I worry that this wee thing will run onto the road. So I waited until his elderly owner arrived, all the time trying to stop Cupar running up and down following this wee dog.
    I can't wait to try out my walking belt with Cassie on her own tomorrow. That will be the real test.

So far I am wishing I had had one of these years ago. I actually walked both dogs with a smile on my face. Normally lead walking is a trial to me as well as being extremely painful.

10. bbrown

So glad it's working well for you !!!

I found it an odd sensation to have both hands free :D but like you say when needs be you just drop your hand onto the lead and keep them super close.

Hope tomorrow goes just as well ;D

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8581.msg121188#msg121188 date=1414965055]
    [quote author=Stacia link=topic=8581.msg121182#msg121182 date=1414963697]
    [/quote]

I bought two. The first one was from sporting saint and was sort of a back rucksack and front pockets on webbing straps - more straps than vest. It was difficult to manage, I found. The straps kept getting tangled every time I took it off and put it down. It was like Christmas fairy lights! Put it down straight, picked it up all tangled.

The second one is more sort of "garment like" and is much better. It's this one:

http://www.firedog.eu/firedog/waxed-cotton-collection/firedog-waxed-cotton-dummy-vest-hunter-l

Pretty - it most definitely is not! Super practical though... despite it's ugliness, I have to say I recommend it...

That's a lot like my one Julie. Don't know why you say it's not pretty... I sometimes think it's the single item of clothing I wear the most!!! ::)
    [/quote]

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

JulieT, only just caught up with this! The vest you sent a link for is the one I had admired at gundog training in the summer, but didn't take the name, so thank you for the link. I have only seen it worn over a blouse or sweater, does it go over a winter coat?!

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Cupcase link=topic=8581.msg121937#msg121937 date=1415288823]

I really can't believe how freeing it is.

Instead I let go of both leads and and used my legs as anchors.

[/quote]

:) :) :)

Helps hugely with loose lead. Frees you and you hands from all that painful and annoying pulling and tugging (and stops you contributing to it) and lets you just think about training and walking.

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=8581.msg122050#msg122050 date=1415304783]
    JulieT, only just caught up with this! The vest you sent a link for is the one I had admired at gundog training in the summer, but didn't take the name, so thank you for the link. I have only seen it worn over a blouse or sweater, does it go over a winter coat?!
    [/quote]

It comes in loads of different sizes, and the belt buckle adjusts, I don't have any problem getting mine on over both a fleece and waterproof. Maybe buy a larger size than you need and just tighten the belt in the summer?

14. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Good idea :)