Walking---looking back all the time

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Yvonne, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Hello All,
    When Cooper and I walk (he is almost 11 months old and is on leash) he keeps looking back as if he hears something or is afraid or curious.
    If I have him "leave it" for something that is on the road, he looks back and looks back....I do believe he is afraid of the dark or can hear or smell there is "something" out there but why would he do this during the day on our walk through very familiar territory?
    Thank you for any enlightment!!!

2. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Re: Walking---looking back all the time

My guess is that he's interested in his surroundings....does he have any off lead time where he can sniff and play and investigate?

As far as training, I would work on getting him to pay closer attention to you, keep in a heel position, that sort of thing unless your onlead walk is totally a sniff around type walk.

3. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

No off lead....by law we have to have our dogs on leads. You are right about a "sniffing" walk or a "heel" walk. Guess I have to be more strict with myself and have him heel. This is something new that he is doing so couldnt figure out why. Thank you.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Are you walking him on a flat collar or something else?

5. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Am using a harness that clips on his chest (instead of his back)...this was at the suggestion of trainer because he was pulling with the flat collar.

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You don't have to walk him at heel, especially if he doesn't get off lead a lot. But you can throw in short heeling sessions, sits, mini-recalls etc, before telling him to resume walking.

Are there other people at home who he might be worried about leaving behind on a walk?

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

How far back does he look? I mean how far does his head turn, and which way? Away from you or towards you?

8. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Oberon, no one at home that we leave behind. Also, I try to make the walk as interesting as possible, letting him sniff around but will incorporate the "sit" and recall you suggest. Good idea.
    Julie, he is walking next to me at heel and turns his head to look back...not his whole body....just his head.....as if he can hear someone or something coming.....he turns his head away from me.

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Just wondering...is he a bit nervous about what may be approaching from behind? Has he had a dog greet him this way and now feels a little unsettled? :)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

If he pulled when wearing a flat collar, presumably he looked forward when he pulled? I'd try a different attachment, just try. Put him on a flat collar and see whether he looks forward, even if that means you have to cope with him pulling for a few moments.

11. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Julie, I will go back to the flat collar and see if he does the same. Thanks for the tip. Every day there is something new, isn't there???
    Keeps us on our toes and makes this Forum invaluable.....

12. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I've heard that dogs have a "second fear stage" during adolescence. I can't claim to know much about it but if it's anything like early socialization challenges then try not to force the issue and let him gain confidence.

Riley would sometimes be nervous of dogs coming up behind us and would want to wait to meet them rather than have them approach him from behind. I just had to be patient, asking him to turn his back on something making him nervous wouldn't have helped.

That said I think Julie's idea is good, see if it's anything to do with collar vs harness.

If it does turn out he's slightly anxious there is some great advice about BAT on the forum if you have a search for it.

Best of luck :)

13. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Thanks, Barbara. I had forgotten about the second fear stage! Read all about it when Cooper was little but thanks for reminding me.
    Frankly, I had to keep looking back to see what he was looking back at!
    Nothing......This past week he has been in day care during the day ....it has been so bitter cold I just could not muster the courage to walk him so he has burned his energy at day care with all the other dogs.
    This weekend I will be walking him so will go with flat collar and see the difference. He had never done this before so was sort of strange.
    Thanks for all your advice and help. I truly appreciate it. Have a great weekend.