Walking on a loose lead!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sunshine, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Sunshine

Sunshine Registered Users

Our gorgeous pup Jessie is now 5 months old and heeling very well all around my (quite large) garden, both off and on the lead (I clicker trained this). I thought she was ready to try it on our quiet road next to the house, but when I took her out she just became so super excited I couldn't do anything meaningful!

I'm really not sure how to progress the success we've had in the garden into the 'outside world' and would really appreciate any advice and/or articles or You Tube clips!

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,sounds like you've made a really good start,and are exactly right in starting to move on to more distracting places.....doing this though means you have to take a bit of a back step .A clicker is a great tool to help,increase the value of your rewards ,something really scrum my and go back to just getting a couple of steps and then increasing from there...'here's a link to the Loose Lead section of articles on the main site....

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/?s=Loose+lead

Enjoy your training x

3. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yes, definitely distractions are increased you have to go back a few steps. Keep at it, it won't take quite as long to get him back to where he was before. He'll get there!

4. jessieboo

jessieboo Registered Users

We also have a Jessie, she is 7 months old. We have been working hard on this too. It has taken a while to get through the super excited response, but we've had real breakthroughs over the last few weeks by being really consistent and using high value treats (chicken or cheese are winners). She was spayed on Friday so is on gentle lead exercise, which I was dreading as she used to leap around like a maniac if she saw people and dogs. But first walk out today, completely at heal, no jumping at people. I was so chuffed ( and relieved as was scared she might burst her stitches if she got excited).