Walking shoes

Discussion in 'Using the bargains and best buys section' started by Cupcase, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

I need a new pair of walking shoes. They must be fully waterproof. At the moment I'm wearing wellies, it's really wet here at the moment.

I have looked at the wellie thread , but none of these are any good to me.

I can't wear boots. They just don't fit me. I have a narrow foot. My calf is small as well. I have tried muckboots of every description. I swear I could fit a golf ball in the heel. A size smaller and my toes are sqaushed.

So wet weather I have to wear wellies with loads of socks on. This is no good for a lot of the walks Cassie and I go on. It's ok in fields, but my feet hurt badly walking on the road.

So any reviews on shoes. The maximum I could spend would be under £100.

I really would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions.

2. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Re: Walking shoes

Hi, I know you said you're looking for walking shoes, but thought I'd just say that I have a narrow foot and slim calf and tender feet and I bought a pair of Le Chameau city all tracks wellies and they are really comfortable. I'm sure that you will get lots of help with walking boots though! Good luck :)

3. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

[quote author=Debs link=topic=8582.msg121134#msg121134 date=1414951690]
    Hi, I know you said you're looking for walking shoes, but thought I'd just say that I have a narrow foot and slim calf and tender feet and I bought a pair of Le Chameau city all tracks wellies and they are really comfortable. I'm sure that you will get lots of help with walking boots though! Good luck :)
    [/quote]

Thanks for that . I will do a search to see where I can see them and try them on. I no longer buy shoes online, too expensive to send them back.

I have ordered orthopaedic insoles for my wellies for a tenner. So I am hoping that sorts foot problem, but I really do need walking shoes. I have read so many reviews and the problem with reviews is the review is added just after purchase. Rarely do you get a review when shoes have been worn for a couple of months.

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I have long narrow feet and a pair of Meindl walking boots which are great. I also have a pair of Brasher knee high boots that I wear with skirts and dresses for work. The reason I take this sartorial excursion is the Brashers are very comfortable. Do well on hard pavements round London and if I wanted a pair of shoes to walk in I would definitely look and see what they have. I also have a pair of North Face trainers which are comfy too :)

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I brought a pair of Berghaus walking boots about 4/5 months ago......they are fab :). I have been out in the rain a lot, been in a very shallow part of a river, lots of mud, and they have been brilliant. I walk about 4-5 miles a day in these. The insole is also very good - I have spinal problems but these boots are very comfortable and supportive. Here is a link: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/berghaus-womens-explorer-ridge-boots-p108002

6. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=8582.msg121141#msg121141 date=1414953759]
    I have long narrow feet and a pair of Meindl walking boots which are great. I also have a pair of Brasher knee high boots that I wear with skirts and dresses for work. The reason I take this sartorial excursion is the Brashers are very comfortable. Do well on hard pavements round London and if I wanted a pair of shoes to walk in I would definitely look and see what they have. I also have a pair of North Face trainers which are comfy too :)
    [/quote

Thanks I have just checked go outdoors do them but they are over my price range for the meindl.
    A quick look at brashers and I like the look of them. Same thing price. Although i could probably try to stretch to just over the £100 but not by much.

I reckon I must be the poorest person on here. I've seen recommendation for boots that are nearly £300.
    I know you get what you pay for but £300 to walk the dogs.

I'm getting so desperate for comfy dry feet I'm checking what other people are wearing. If I hear muckboot or Dubarry one more time. Muckboots are far tooooooo big and I would need to remortgage for a pair of Dubarry.

Keep them coming because I really am grateful and I will look at all recommendations.

7. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

[quote author=Naya link=topic=8582.msg121146#msg121146 date=1414954407]
    I brought a pair of Berghaus walking boots about 4/5 months ago......they are fab :). I have been out in the rain a lot, been in a very shallow part of a river, lots of mud, and they have been brilliant. I walk about 4-5 miles a day in these. The insole is also very good - I have spinal problems but these boots are very comfortable and supportive. Here is a link: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/berghaus-womens-explorer-ridge-boots-p108002
    [/quote]

I shall get this quote thing right.

They look great and in my price range ,yay.
    I need to see where I can try on shoes.

Thanks for that.

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I treated myself to some Dubarrys and they are great but not the most supportive footwear you can get! Decent walking boots and some gaiters will do you well at a lower price :)

9. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=8582.msg121152#msg121152 date=1414955928]
    I treated myself to some Dubarrys and they are great but not the most supportive footwear you can get! Decent walking boots and some gaiters will do you well at a lower price :)
    [/quote]

Gaiters that was that elusive word. That is what I am looking for. Walking shoes and gaiters, then thats me covered for both summer and winter.

thankyou

10. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I have trouble finding decent walking shoes too and for a while resorted to just wearing memory foam orthopaedic insoles in my regular trainers (I have plantar fasciitis in both feet).

Recently I decided to push the boat out and spend quite a lot more than I usually would for a pair of walking boots. Like you I am sick of people mentioned how amazing dubarrys are and then crying when I look at the price tag!! Lol
    I went to go outdoors and got a fab pair of berghaus walking boots for £80 (reduced from £115). They have been brilliant! I think would still need my insoles if I was doing over 5 miles but that rarely happens so they are perfect for what I need them for on a regular basis. I was surprised that they were already waterproof too - I accidentally wore them out in the field in the rain before I had a chance to waterproof them and found that I actually don't need to!

11. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

I have a pair of Hotter waterproof walking boots, love them, they are so comfy, and probably in your price range too. :)

12. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

I now have a list of walking shoes I am going to try and find. Hopefully I shall go shopping at the weekend.

In the meantime my orthotic insoles arrived. I have put them in my wellies. I am hoping tomorrow morning I shall be able to walk down the stairs and not have to crawl down them.

If these insoles are any good , it gives me a bit of leeway to find new waterproof walking shoes. I can wear my wellies in the meantime.

Thankyou all for your recommendations.

13. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I thought I'd add to this thread. I bought a pair of Merrell Moab GTX walking boots about 15 months ago. They are very comfortable but they have started to leak. Water is coming in around the toes and it appears to result from the sole becoming slightly detached. Looking online this seems to be a regular problem with these boots.

I've just treated myself to a pair of Lowa boots and will write a review when I've had them for a few months.

14. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I bought a pair of Hi-Tec walking shoes after investing in their furlined winter boots and have found them brilliant, waterproof and easy to clean up. I have knee problems (and a bunion!) so need trainers/boots etc. with good support and comfortable and have found these good with just a pair of socks. I got them delivered here in France from amazon.co.uk . walking shoes were around £50 - £60.

15. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

I ended up with Merrell shoes. I tried on every pair of walking shoes in the shop. The Merrell were the first ones I tried on and oh boy these shoes were made for my feet. I paid more than I should have but they're so comfortable. I use them every day and I hope they last longer than 18 months before they leak as I ended up paying £115 for them.

16. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Just a little advice about your orthotics. Gradually build up the time you wear them, they will subtley alter the way you walk and if you just shove them in your shoes you may find aches etc that you didn't have before. That is probably why so many people abandon them.

I have needed orthotics for many years and, oh so sexy Orthapaedic shoes which is the basis of my advice.

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ah, I'm glad you got something good.

I know you were frustrated earlier in the thread about people saying Dubarrys when they are so expensive, but it really does seem like you have to pay for comfy feet! £115 is a lot of course, but cheaper than a lot of other options.

For dry days walking round the London parks, I have just bought some very strange shoes from Jones Bootmakers - they are like slippers with a thick sole! You are not supposed to wear socks with them, and you put them in the washing machine....they are very strange things, but incredibly comfortable for dog walking on pavements.

They are called go walk super socks. (Young, fashionable people look away :))

http://www.johnlewis.com/skechers-gowalk-2-super-sock-sports-shoes/p1747273

They would be rubbish for rough ground, but for pounding round the park (Charlie will build up to 2.5 hours a day on lead :rolleyes: ) they are brill.

18. Morwenstow

Morwenstow Registered Users

I swear by Clark's Desert boots which are unisex, extremely comfortable, washing machine proof, cost £50 ,now made in Vietnam and have given me good service over 50 years! However, I agree that they are not the best choice if you are trying to impress the opposite sex!

19. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I just bought myself some GoWalks....haven't seen the "sock" kind but mine are similar to that. LOVE them...so comfy...

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Aren't they great? For dry weather pavement walking, they are just the best.