Walking Zombie, what happened last night?!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by CDM, Jan 13, 2015.

1. CDM

CDM Registered Users

So Bella has been brilliant at night sleeping from 10.30pm until 6.15am and on Sunday and Monday it was me waking her up at 7am!!

Then........ last night .........barks and whines at 2.30am, I let her out, she did a wee but wasn't in any rush and was quite lively. Put her back, she started again, waited, carried on, waited for a break, went up .....gave her another top, she settled.

2 hours later (4.30am) barking and whining, not in a I need the toilet way. I waited, didn't stop. I have neighbours as I'm in a terrace so couldn't allow it to continue. Waited for a gap, went up. She wanted fuss and cuddles.... It was 4.30am, she ended up on the end of my bed, went to sleep. Eeekkkkkkk, I had no choice but she was doing so well before this.... What happened? I started back at work yesterday - puppy sitter started too so lots of new changes and people etc , am I overthinking this or could yesterday's events have led to last nights cries and barks ( checking I'm still there?!) .any suggestions??

Today's going to be tough, hopefully she'll sleep whilst I earn us money :)

2. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Re: Walking Zombie, what happened last night?!

Sounds like the change in routine, maybe she missed you and wanted to spend more time with you? Also probably slept a lot more in day so was awake at night?
    Im sure she will get used to it, they are very adaptable x

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Labradors can often be very sensitive , especially to change in routine, so yes , I`m sure this is the reason , she will adapt soon I`m sure :)

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Agree, change in routine.

She has adapted nicely - to sleeping on your bed ;D The question is - can you adapt to the Brave New World? ;) Might I suggest Labrador coloured bed linen?

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=9483.msg136692#msg136692 date=1421144031]

She has adapted nicely - to sleeping on your bed ;D The question is - can you adapt to the Brave New World? ;) Might I suggest Labrador coloured bed linen?
    [/quote]

Rachael has put it nicely and succinctly. ;D ;D ;D

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I think it will be hard to put her back away from you in another room once she has tasted the delights of your bed! Maybe you could put her bed in your room and see if that works?

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Karen link=topic=9483.msg136721#msg136721 date=1421153551]

[/quote]

Rachael has put it nicely and succinctly. ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

As always ;D....think I still hold the record for taking the longest to cave.....but cave I did! ;D

8. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[/quote]

I know I know, rod for my own back!!! Good point about sleeping more too Wendy, she apparently was more confident when she visited this morning and did a wee and ate her food ( she wouldn't yesterday) then she went to a puppy party at lunch time so she was asleep when I got back. I love her to bits but not on my bed as an adult!! I'll keep persisting with crate and hope this is just a blip..... Bed in my room could be next option but it's a massive crate!!!!

9. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Like you would a baby, or with dieting, just go back to the routine ::)

10. CDM

CDM Registered Users

I'm pleased to report Bella is more settled and slept through from 10.15pm until 6.15am with no issues!! After a wee I let her sleep on my bed for another hour ::)

11. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer sleeps in the kitchen and sleeps through most nights but occasionally once in a while usually when there is a full moon he wakes and barks to be let out. Sometimes he goes out for a poop or a pee sometimes just to wake the neighbours. He's learnt that when he comes back in he can run fast enough to get through the door and up the stairs he gets to sleep on our bed for the rest of the night.

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Haha ;D Clever Homer.

Glad Bella is more settled :)

13. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

[quote author=Jes72 link=topic=9483.msg137062#msg137062 date=1421262418]
    Homer sleeps in the kitchen and sleeps through most nights but occasionally once in a while usually when there is a full moon he wakes and barks to be let out. Sometimes he goes out for a poop or a pee sometimes just to wake the neighbours. He's learnt that when he comes back in he can run fast enough to get through the door and up the stairs he gets to sleep on our bed for the rest of the night.
    [/quote]

Smart pup!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

14. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Jes72 link=topic=9483.msg137062#msg137062 date=1421262418]
    [/quote]

They are too clever!!!!!! ;D

15. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Nooooooo same thing happened last night after a successful night previously, same times - awake at 2am barking and whining - let her out, she did a wee, then I put her in her travel crate in my room but at 4am she was at it again and in my room this time so didn't make any difference her not being in her crate?! So bizarre as things had just got better and she was sleeping longer?! Maybe I need to wake her up an hour before bed and have some more vigorous play as she's usually asleep on the sofa by 9pm so after a wee I transfer her into her crate. :( maybe it's still linked to change in routines and me back at work but she seems very lively and awake at that hour and I am not and don't engage in it!!!

16. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Hi Claudia, bet your feeling tired today! I do feel for you, i love my sleep and hate not getting it! I dont know why Bella is doing this, maybe its still change of routine, different sleep patterns etc. It is difficult to establish routines as life gets in the way, and im sure most people would agree that your life cant stop just because you have a dog. You just need to keep persevering, trying different things. Izzy still wakes at 2 wanting a wee and poo, i just do it zombie like and fall back asleep.
    Keep trying xx

17. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Through trial and error, we have found a routine that generally helps out overnight times. We feed our Bella at about 6:30 in the evening, then quiet play on her own while I'm making dinner and such. By 8pm we are usually on the couch, and have found that taking the time to play fetch games down the hallway with her for 15 minutes works well to burn up any extra energy she has. About 9:15 we generally are making moves to go to bed, so make sure that she goes outside for a potty, and then go to bed. She sleeps on the bed with us, and if we've done enough play with her...she usually will crash for about 3-4 hours, then need to get up for a potty, then back to bed until my alarm goes off. She is 18 weeks, and has slept through the night from 10-6 only twice. ::) But she is pretty reliable at only getting up once in the middle of the night. Unless her routine has been shaken up in the evening...then all bets are off. :eek: But any of her middle of the night wake ups are handled with no muss...all business...no treats...just get up, out the door solo, does her biz, and then right back inside and back to bed. I usually take the time to get a drink of water or empty my own bladder...

Having said all that....last night was an up every hour or so until 2am when she finally settled. Looking back it was no play fetch for her, no mental stimulus....and one episode of knocking over the new bag and brand of dog food with a free for all scramble to eat as much as she could before I could get it all cleaned up. She had a full belly and was quite thirsty in the night. ::)

18. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Ooooo another little tinker Bella!!!!! :D

Yer it's very bizarre but I can't let her keep barking so I know I'm not helping the situation by going to her, although I do wait for a break or create a distraction before I enter the room. I don't think she is awake as she needs toilet either but once awake I suppose that's when she needs a wee. Feels like we are going backwards as she has slept through since 9 weeks no issues hmmmmmm , it's interesting it's the same times as well..! 2 and 4?! ( she doesn't go toilet at 4) I will just have to keep at it, I don't want to give in and have her in my room all the time and she likes her crate usually. :eek:

19. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Another 2.30am wake up...... I'm losing the battle fast as I was so tired she ended up on my bed until just before 7am. No idea how this started but now she knows I'll go to her I'm losing fast .... No one wants to hear a barking and whining puppy at 2am. Wonder if I should try another bed that's not enclosed :eek:

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Might I suggest Labrador coloured bed linen?
    [/quote]

This is by far the easiest solution... :)