walks how long?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by lemmys mum, Sep 22, 2014.

1. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

This has probably been covered loads of times so I apologize for any deletion.
    Lemmy is ten weeks now black lab boy due to be able to go out and about two weeks today after his jabs. We have had labs in family for twenty years but both have had hip trouble( I do think that was due to Mum and Dad overfeeding a touch) but also they were unaware of the damage that can be done when a puppy is young. Both there labs had free run of house stairs etc and there first lab Bo ran miles and jumped for balls sticks etc.
    I want to ensure my little bundle of joy has as happy and healthy a life as possible so what are recommendation s for exercise please. X

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Re: walks how long?

It's supposed to be 5 mins per month of she a day. So a 12 week old would have 15 minutes. My breeder also said this was ok for morning and afternoon . Lots of advice coming your way shortly. I include any play with another pup/dog in that time. Occasionally I have gone over the guide but I am very aware of it and try not to.

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi!
    I think most of us would say that the "15 minutes" is for lead/hard surface walking, and free play in the garden doesn't particularly count in this figure.
    I think the "running for miles" "jumping for balls and sticks" and £up and down the stairs" is definitely more of an issue than how far and how often you walk your dog.

4. lemmys mum

Thanks I'm trying to work out our walks we live ten mins walk from beach and we don't drive so he would be more or less at his limit before we get there then there is the walk home. Its a mind field my little brain is all achy lol. X

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Have you a rucksack (or even old pram/buggy ;D ) you could pop him in for the walk there and back?

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I used to walk Harley 10 mins to the park, 20-30 mins sniffing/playing, then 10 min walk home. It was a very slow casual walk so not strenuous. You could do as Jacqui suggested and carry him part of the way? :)

7. lemmys mum

Lol at pram! Hubby will be able to carry him some of way but not for much longer I think he's turning into proper size! ( puppy not hubby lol. X

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Jane Martin link=topic=7951.msg112015#msg112015 date=1411408703]
    I include any play with another pup/dog in that time. Occasionally I have gone over the guide but I am very aware of it and try not to.
    [/quote]

I don't.

Gypsy gets the 20 minutes on lead walks. But - so long as they are playing 'nicely' - I don't limit her play with Tatze. Either can signal 'stop now' and then they soon settle but I let them hoolie around the house and garden.

9. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

I am a just watch they are not getting tired walker, if I counted play with my other dog into the mix we would never leave the flat going by the 5 minutes a month formula. We have always walked all of ours as far as THEY want and even little 5lb Betty Chihuahua has walked an hour a day since she was only 2lb in weight. Pick her up and she is incandescent with rage she wants to be down there walking with everyone else. Elsie loves her walks we do an hour in the morning, half an hour in the afternoon and another hour in the evening. Weekends we walk as far as she wants - wears me out but she is fine LOL