Waterproof over-trousers

Discussion in 'Products and supplies for puppies' started by snowbunny, May 19, 2015.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I'm currently searching for some waterproof over-trousers that I can pull on over my jeans if it's wet out and/or I'm going to be walking through long grass. In winter months, old ski pants are perfect, but as it gets warmer, they'll be far too hot and uncomfortable - but so will wet jeans be uncomfortable!

I've had a brief look online, but I can't find anything that looks decent. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Have you thought of waterproof golf trousers?

3. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have a pair of Schoeffel over trousers which are brilliant. They are very lightweight, easy to roll up and pack away when not in use, you won't overheat in them and they are very waterproof. I wear them all the time when photographing dogs and I'm either kneeling or laying down on wet ground. They als wash really well and look just like new after each wash. The downside is that they are quite expensive (mine were a gift) and they would probably not stand up to some really heavy cover like brambles. I wouldn't wear them for example out rough shooting in the winter. But for dog walking and training they are brilliant!

4. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

If you are prepared to spend a lot of money I don't think you can beat Rohan Elite Overtrousers. They are incredibly light, pack into a tiny volume, are easy to pull on over boots and have good ventilation when it's warm. Whilst trying not to sound like an advert, I love them and wouldn't be without them in the summer. I use their Dry Roamers for winter too - look and feel just like walking trousers but are warm and waterproof too.

5. snowbunny

Wow, who knew they could be so pricey?! That said, I've wasted money on a cheap waterproof jacket that is completely rubbish, so I'm not going to make that mistake again. "Buy cheap, buy twice", as someone once said. Looking out the window at this remarkably predictable wet May weather, I'm thinking they're probably worth twice the price if they work well.

6. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Growing up on a farm I've worn my fair share of waterproof trousers and I can recommend flexothane. They cost £18 and they last well. I find waterproofs general wear at the side of the knee flexothane last longer than any others I've tried and not too expensive. Nothing fancy about them just workwear.

7. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Another Rohan fan here, but I've had them so long they probably don't make the exact same ones now. They have been used as 3-season waterproofs for hillwalking/scrambling, for cycle commuting and general dog-walking for about 14 years and still going strong. Like Lochan says, light and packable (into their own pocket) and have been worth every penny

8. Stu_I

Stu_I Registered Users

Echo the comments on golf trousers which i use (for Golf as well as the dog) and are designed to be pulled over easy, and also pack small and light. Unfortunately they will be pricey, but i managed to get mine in a sale so maybe you will be lucky.

9. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Snowbunny, did you get any? I have a pair made by Innova8 (spelling??) which from memory would have been about 20 pounds. They are very light and roll up to fit into your hand; they are for running. There may be lots to choose from in running shops.

10. snowbunny

I haven't bought any yet, no. It suddenly turned into summer so it didn't seem so desperate. Today, however, it's been raining all day. Blargh. I need to refocus on finding some :)

11. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I shopped around and found a pair of breatheable overtrouserrs half price in a local walking shop.

Unless its actually raining I prefer to wear polycotton trousers as they dry quite quickly. Also, nylon gaiters over normal walking shoes are much cheaper than overtrousers if the grass is only knee deep.

12. CocosDad_UK

CocosDad_UK Registered Users

I use regatta waterproof pull over trousers, used them in festivals and worked perfect. pretty cheap too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Regatta-Men...438799381&sr=8-2&keywords=waterproof+trousers