We pick our boy tomorrow!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lorj2000, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Lorj2000

Lorj2000 Registered Users

So excited, after weeks and weeks of waiting, we finally pick up Bentley tomorrow, our 8 week old Choc Lab. need to do one last trip to Pets at Home later on but think we have everything. His little den area is set up and ready for him and his bed. Feeling very excited but also slightly nervous???? Its just me and him together all day Friday as my partner is at work so hopefully the little fella is OK and settles in OK. I'm a bit annoyed with myself as I didnt book him to Puppy classes in time and so the class near us is fully booked until November which means he will ne 15 weeks when he goes, ideally we wanted to take him at 10/11 weeks but am sure afew more weeks wont hurt. Any hints/tips for the first few days at home with him will be greatly appreciated!!!!

2. Lorj2000

Re: We pick our boy tomorrow!!!

Sorry that was meant to say that we pick our boy UP tomorrow!!!!

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh congratulations!!! Looking forward to the photos! :D

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

What an exciting time you have ahead :)
    My advice would be to try and relax around him , pups and adult dogs do pick uo on our anxieties , and most of all enjoy him , puppyhood flies by all too quickly :)

5. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

good luck with bentley and welcome from me and jasper black lab 8 months

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

It's a fun time, but a bit nerve wracking too. You'll likely feel a bit overwhelmed s time or two in the weeks ahead - don't worry, Bentley is feeling the same way at times! You'll soon get to know him and he you, and once you both are feeling more confident it gets a bit easier.

Enjoy your pup, and don't be afraid to ask questions or vent if you need to - that's what we're here for!

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Wow!
    How exciting ;D
    Best of luck for tomorrow. We will be waiting like expectant aunties and uncles for updates ;D ;D

8. Charlie_2013

Charlie_2013 Registered Users

Today's the day..how exciting. Good luck & enjoy your day....DON'T FORGET A PICTURE OR TWO LATER!!!!!

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hope you have a wonderful day with your new puppy! :D

But don't worry if it doesn't go exactly according to plan - it will all be fine in the end once your pup settles in. Having said that, he'll probably be a perfect angel :)

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oooooohhhh I missed you yesterday but tomorrow is now today .......so congratulations on your new puppy!Hope Bentley settles in well and you have a good first night with him.
    Bye for now
    Angela x

11. Lorj2000

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments.haven't had a chance to post pics yet but will do tomorrow.Bentley has had a great time exploring his new house tonight n only 1 accident inside.he didn't seem to want to wee n only did one all night......not sure if this is normal.we've just gone up to bed n after 15 minutes of howling.....all is now quiet down there.hope it lasts!!!!!xx

12. Dexter

Ah I bet you are on pins listening for every sound......I slept on Dexters bed with him the first night,we didn't get a crate because I thought he would feel like his 'room' was a big crate....how wrong I was..10 am the next morning Chris was standing outside the pet shop waiting for it to open to buy his crate .......little fella was as good as gold after that,good luck tonight,have you set your alarm for wee wee time? X

13. Lorj2000

My other half will be up every for work so will let him out.he's in a crate but within a pen area so leaving crate door open......he can go out of crate to wee then.we will see.can hear the little fella snoring away.

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds like he is going well :) That's great to hear :)

15. Dexter

Lets know tomorrow how Bentley is Nnite x

16. Lorj2000

One thing I forgot to ask....we haven't left his food bowl out in his pen....once he had ate we took it away.is this ok or are you supposed to leave food for him over night??he gobbled the lot up pronto!!!

17. Dexter

He's a Labrador.....there is usually no food left after 30 seconds!!!has your breeder briefed you on food type and quantity?if he's had his allowance over his ( at this age usually) 4 meals he doesn't need anything left down for him at night.My dog was 5 months when he came to us and we shut him in his crate at bedtime so from 10.30 pm to 6.30 pm he had no water either.....is that right? I don't know ??? But access to a quantity of water is something I think is a consideration when you are getting up for wee breaks in the night.....but Bentley is a lot younger than Dex was so I'm not sure if water should be down for him .....

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We didn't leave water in the crate overnight - an opportunity for tipping up!

19. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i would say don't leave his food bowl out,....if he as had his feed for the day you have done right by taking it away, make sure he as water :)
    i have never left food out for my pup over night,......i fed him 4 times a day reduced to 3, now at 8 month he is on twice a day feed,....always have water out for him,.......now my lil fella is 8 month he don't need night water,......toilet time at your stage is on and on, this will reduce, i thought this stage would never end, now he don't do any thing in the garden just out on his walks, ...don't worry things will get better :)

20. Lorj2000

Well Bentley first night n day fairly successful.....not too much crying last night or if there was we didnt hear it.weather hasn't helped today as been non stop raining but onlyhad 3 accidents inside n all the rest were regularly in garden so that's good.the little fella wouldn't leave my side all day n snuggled up on my lap now having puppy dreams. His poo has been a bit runny but not too bad.he's gobbling down all of his meals.can't get over his razor sharp teeth.....ouch!!!when do they start to come out??Will try him with a kong later. All in all.....hard work but he is totally worth it.xx