We were rubbish today!

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Joy, May 14, 2017.

1. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Sad but true.
    We entered a KC obedience show. In beginners we got through it all, but not very well. On the retrieve Molly sat at an angle when she came back to present the dumbbell and did so again when finishing (sitting at heel) for both the retrieve and the recall. In heel work her nose was on the ground a lot of the time.
    Then I did a stupid thing -I forgot that in KC shows the 'stay' rings are not the same as the competition rings. So I was in the wrong place and missed the beginner stays. :( Sad, as they are one of Molly's strengths-as my OH says, 'she's good at lying down'!

We also did the introductory class. Made sure I was there for the stay, which was easy as it was only one minute. But then in the ring she messed up the recall. I couldn't believe it -when I called she wandered off sniffing-and on walks she always comes when I call. Sigh.

OH suggests buying a Collie...

MF likes this.
  2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh Joy I doubt you and Molly were rubbish. You know where you went wrong so the next competition will be better. You had an off day that's all, better luck next time. xx

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO never! xx

Joy likes this.
  3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Great experience for you both. Molly sounds like she was a little bit distracted by the occasion. I'm sure it'll be better next time - hats off to you for entering.

Joy likes this.
  4. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

You must be disappointed but there's always another day! I admire you for entering and I guess you just have to put it down to experience .

Joy likes this.
  5. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Exactly juśt whay Selina said. Well done for going and all the hard work you've put in so that Molly can do all the obedience tasks. Even if things don't go to plan on the day.

Joy likes this.
  6. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I act as trainer for a small class working towards good citizen silver and the people in that class often say of their dogs, 'but they can do it at home!' Well, now I totally sympathise because I was like that today -embarrassed by my apparent incompetence but inside my head going,'but she did it beautifully in the park yesterday.' ;)

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

So sorry. Some days are just pants.

selina27 and Joy like this.
  8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Argh so annoying when it doesn't go right on the day - perhaps it was nerves. Next time you'll do better - but well done anyway!

Joy likes this.
  9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Well, you should feel proud of yourself for trying! I have never done anything like that and wouldn't dare!

charlie, selina27 and Joy like this.
  10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good on you for going in the tests. I'm sure there were many positives in there too.

Sounds like Molly was picking up on the stress of it all. Sniffing and looking vague in heel work and creeping or wandering off on the recall are classic responses to the stress handlers feel at an obedience comp. Our dogs pick up on our anxiety, and on way stress changes our behaviour and cues, and instead of responding as they normally would they display all these behaviours instead. They are called 'displacement behaviours'. They're the dog saying "something wierd is up with you. I want to come to you but you are being really odd so I feel torn about it. I'm just gonna hang out over here and do this instead because you are making me worried". Displacement behaviours are seen when the dog is kind of caught between two competing options (avoid or approach) or is in a socially stressful situation. (Humans have a whole repertoire of these kinds of behaviours too).

The solution is for us to learn to relax and keep our behaviour, facial expressions and emotions exactly as they are in training. Not easy, I know..!

edzbird, Naya, Pilatelover and 4 others like this.
  11. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

That's very interesting.

I have tremendous admiration for people competing with dogs as to how they stay calm and focused in that situation. And are prepared to take the risk of it going wrong. Keep going @Joy

Joy likes this.
  12. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Thank you for this thoughtful reply Rachael. I think I did feel more anxious in the second class because introductory is so easy (or should be, ha ha!) that I felt we should be able to nail it. I had to do the slightly harder class first because we were drawn second in the running order and was a bit nervous.

I'm torn between whether to try again or not. Molly is a well-behaved dog by pet dog standards and part of me thinks I should leave it at that. Perhaps I'll continue training but not compete again until/ unless we've improved.

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Definitely try again!!!!

I was speaking from my own experience.. I did obedience trialling with my first dog Nicolae and it was pretty nerve wracking! In training his heeling was pretty good (not amazing but definitely good enough) but in trials it became kind of embarrassing :confused: Nevertheless I got better at faking relaxation :D and he got better along with that. In the end we got our Novice title and it was all worth it.

So do keep going :)

Joy likes this.
  14. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Definitely keep going!

I know what you mean about being more nervous when it's 'easier'. When we got our RN title, we got our third pass in the am trial of a double trial. We were already entered in the pm trial so went in anyway. For some reason I was so much more nervous in the afternoon as I felt needed to pass it really well. We failed miserably!!

Maybe pick something that you want to achieve and set a realistic target. It depends on how you like to enter though... I know some people like to wait until they can pass or achieve a high score before entering. I'm the opposite and like to enter now as I think we've improved so much more from our trial experience than practising in the ring at training. Also, I know if I leave it too long I might never enter again!

X

Joy likes this.
  15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I would definately keep going and trying. Everyone has off days and it sounds like you were a bit nervous which she picked up on. There's always a next time :)

Joy likes this.
  16. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I know that my two cents doesn't mean much considering that we're still muddling our way through general pet obedience classes, but I think you should try again. I can just imagine that leaving it on a sour note will damage your confidence. And now you've got Rachael's fab advice. Fake it 'til you make it!

You are brave for getting out there and doing it, even though it all went tits up on the day. It's a massive learning experience for both of you, it's not wasted :)

Joy likes this.
  17. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I think I'd enter lots and worry less if I could but obedience shows are few and far between. We had to travel for 90 minutes to get to the show yesterday on busy roads and that's the nearest till the autumn. In the UK, rally and obedience are run as separate sports and rally seems really popular in the midlands but is non-existent down here in the south-east. The cost of travel is a factor.
    Yes, I'll carry on training as I enjoy it (and I think Molly does) and think about a show in a few months.
    Thanks for the encouragement.

selina27 likes this.
  18. Emily

Emily Registered Users

That's a little annoying for you. Most of our trials have both rally and obedience at the same trial. A lot of people enter both on the same day. We're at a lower level than you so still not quite ready for the obedience but we'll keep going with rally and will work towards obedience :)

Good luck, keep training and we'll look forward to the next instalment :)

Joy likes this.
  19. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I'm absolutely sure you're not!!
    The only reason we're not doing rally instead of obedience is the lack of opportunity.
    Good luck with your next venture too.

20. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Maybe I should make an "out-takes" video to show you :eek::D

SwampDonkey and Joy like this.