Weight at 6 months (American or English)

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by alschwahn, Oct 25, 2017.

1. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

Aspen is 6 months old tomorrow! I can't believe 4 months have gone by so quickly...

Here are some pictures I took of Aspen while he was bird-watching today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He looks very unimpressed but I swear it was cause he was squinting! :D

Anyways, I'm the dog mom who regularly brings Aspen to the vet to get weighed (its free!) because I like to know how much he weighs out of curiosity. Today I found out that he weighs 51 lbs/23 kg. He is an American lab and both mom and dad were only 70 pounds. I know there is no way of telling how big he might get, but do you guys think he could reach 80 lbs? I'm also that weirdo who wants a big lab! I never knew there were two different labs - American & English - until after we got Aspen and I joined the Labrador forum!

How much did your dogs weigh at 6 months? Are they English or American? And what are their current weights now?

PawPrints, Stacia and Edp like this.
  2. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

What a handsome boy!!! I also really wanted a big boy but I ended up taking the smallest boy of the litter just because of the temperament, that being said... he ended up getting much bigger than the vet anticipated. The vet thought he would end up at 65 pounds as he was so little as a puppy.

Axel is half American and have English lab. At 6 months old he was 68.5 pounds, now at 22 months he is 98 pounds.

Axel’s Mom was 65 pounds and his dad was 110 pounds.

The best way to know roughly how much your boy will weigh is going by what his parents weighed. So around 70 pounds is probably what he will be, but only time will truly tell! :)

3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

@alschwahn , your Aspen is a very lovely dog, beautiful and a lovely colour, great photo's.

Like you I love to get Cassie weighed at the vets, it's free for me too and has helped her like going there. She hops on automatically these days! Yesterday she was 28.7 kg (63 pounds) at 18 months, she has been 32kg at 12 mnonths, the nurse says she's just right now. Her dad is huge at 41kgs, her mum is normal lab size, I doubt she's ever been weighed, she lives on a farm.

4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

He's a stunning fellow.

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi there, my boy is what you would call an American lab (what we call working line). He is big-boned, tall and of reasonable build. At six months he weighed around 25kg (he now at seven and a bit months weighs 30 kg). I would guess your boy will weigh around what his parents weighed - he is beautiful, by the way!!!

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Blackbird likes this.
  7. alschwahn

@Kelsey&Axel Wow what a big boy! It always seems to be the runts of the litter who grow up to be the biggest!

8. alschwahn

@selina27 I'm glad I'm not the only dog mom who does that!

9. alschwahn

Thank you @edzbird! He sure is my little handsome man.

10. alschwahn

@Karen Wow I feel like that is big for only 7 months! Aspen only weighs about 25 pounds less than his cousin who is about 1 year. My boyfriend's mom's little chocolate puppy has parents that are both only 45 pounds! I have never met labs that little before, I don't think...

11. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

I have heard it’s because in big litters they are pushed aside by litter mates at food time. So they don’t eat as much as their siblings. Then in their own home they get all the food they are meant to have and they flourish.

I just didn’t know that at the time! Not that I would change anything at all, he’s my bestest buddy :heart::hug:

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Registered Users

Great link, thank you!
    I've been wondering how big my girl will be when she's full grown

13. Georgieboy

Georgieboy Registered Users

George is a working line (American) lab. He was 60.5 lbs. at 6 months. His mom is 70 lbs. and dad close to 100, so I'm guessing he will be too.

14. alschwahn

@Georgieboy Lucky you! I hope Aspen will be a big boy but probably not :(

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

But why do you mind? He is what he is! My other Labrador is tiny - 24.5kg fully grown; my seven month old pup is already much bigger than her! She is beautiful, a real character, and a wonderful working dog. They are all individuals, just like people, whether big or small :)

16. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Sky is 25.4kg currently and apart from earlier this year when she was overweight because of her arthritis and inactivity, she has always in her 10 years been around 25kg. She is a small Labrador and very lovely. Red is a bit taller (18kgs) than her at 10 months and you can see by the length of her body and her back legs she is going to be a much bigger dog. I find their differences fascinating.

alschwahn and Karen like this.
  17. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper was 59# at 6 months. She is right around 80#, 36.3kg. now. Her mom was about 70# and her dad around 80#. She is a very tall (24") American Field dog.

Cooper was tiny as a pup. At 7 weeks she was 5.5# which is 2# less than Tilly at 7 weeks. (Tilly is about 65# now) Being a smaller pup in the litter doesn't seem to be much of a predictor of the final size.

One advantage to tall dogs is they can jump into a Pickup or Suburban with no problem. :) Of course when they get old they are a lot bigger to lift :rolleyes:.

alschwahn likes this.
  18. alschwahn

@Karen I grew up around big, dopey looking labs with boxy faces. I guess they are just what I know and like.

Karen and PawPrints like this.
  19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Yeah, me too! When we first got Poppy it took a long time before I could really adjust to the way she looked. I thought she was like a yellow dachshund! Now of course I am completely sold on working line labs and cannot imagine owning any other kind...

20. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

My boy is a monster ! he weighs 40 kilos but no fat , just a very big boned tall lad with lots of muscle mass, he is working bred Labrador . My previous Lab , female was from show stock , much smaller and weighing 30 kilos fully grown , I like the diversity x