Weight worries...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Kellyxo, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Kellyxo

Kellyxo Registered Users

Hi all, wondering if you can help!

We brought home our baby girl Nala a week ago today, she will be 9 weeks on monday. From monday just gone she started having really bad diaherra and was passing blood. We had her to the vets for 3 days running as i was in tears knowing it wasnt right. They finally agreed to keep her in on wednesday, put her on a drip and some medicine and she finally looks like she is on the up!

However she lost lots of weight during them 3 days of been ill and is a tiny 3.5kg, does anyone know what i can do to help her put weight on? She is on butchers puppy food at the moment as the vet said to keep her on tins for a couple of days them start introduction what she was on (purine beta puppy) back in. How much such we be feeding her? She is getting a tin a day (we feed her x3) and it just doesnt seem enough to me and i am worrying as i dont want her to loose anymore weight or be hungry!

Thank you!!

2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

So sorry your new pup has been ill. It is a time that should be exciting for you. I think you will get a lot of suggestions, but it is probably best to stick with whatever your vet suggests until Nala is back on an even keel. Double check with your vet on quantities. Best wishes xx

3. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I'm sorry you've had such a scary time and hope your puppy starts to get better. I would feed more frequently - four times a day instead of three - as puppies have small stomachs anyway and obviously your poor girl won't be able to manage big meals. Four feeds a day are usually recommended in any case up to 12 weeks, but if necessary you could continue for longer.

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Your vet should have some tins of food which are good for very sick pups. I had to use some for my sick pup speak to them they maybe able to recommend

5. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi and so sorry your pup has been so poorly. Your vet is the best person to advise you, I know my boy had four meals a day until a couple of weeks ago (he is now 5 and a half months) as his tummy just seemed not to be ready to handle larger meals. He's now on three meals a day and is quite happy with it. Good luck and I hope your little one improves quickly