Weight

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Jenn, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Jenn

Jenn Registered Users

Hi there! New to the boards. I have a black lab named Sully. He will be 4 in June. A little background on me. LOVE DOGS....always have. Had the horrific experience of losing my 2 year old golden to cancer 4 years ago. Tore my heart out. Hank was MY first dog. I miss him 24/7. My Sully has helped to heal my heart. Sully is a big boy. I’ve always struggled to keep his weight down. I’ve tried

1/2 cup food w pumpkin
    1/2 cup food w string beans
    Not thinking I was truly adding calories, I tried 1/2 cup w string beans, cucumber, celery, a little carrot

I even added chicken. In the fall he was 118. I took him yesterday still concerned. I almost fell to the floor when he weighed 136. I was almost in tears. I’m having his thyroid tested and they ruled out diabetes. I walked him a little over 2 miles a day. He is winded by the end.

I need any advice or thoughts. Anyone have this? He’s my world and I’m at a loss.

Thank you!!!!

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

You need to feed him less. A lower calorie food. Also more excercise. In the vast majority of cases, the only reason for having an overweight dog is feeding it too much and or not excercising it enough. ALos be honest with yourself about any treats he's getting.

Edp likes this.
  3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Daft question...is that weight in pounds ?

4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

What is his daily diet?