Well here goes...

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Lisa, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

.....made the appointment for Simba's vet check up tomorrow. Just the usual yearly thing, vaccinations, physical exam, etc. I made it for 9 AM so I could get it over with. The first time he was at the vet after we got him was for his neuter, and the pre-op exam did NOT go well, in fact they had to muzzle him to get it done. Post -op exam of the stitches involved the vet and a helper basically having to physically immobilize him as the poor dog cried and screamed (really, no other word for it, it was truly horrible).

But...those were early days with us. In hindsight if I were to do it over again I would have waited a bit before the op, until he had settled in with us more (we had only had him for two weeks at that point). As you all know, he was very collar-reactive and did not do well being physically restrained.

However...I have been doing a lot of work on the collar-reactivity and he is pretty much over that now, I think. I have also been doing some clicker training on things the vet might do, ie lifting up his ears to look in, squeezing his midsection, lifting paws, lifting tail (don't have a rectal thermometer so if he gets a temp taken not sure how that will go :eek:).

He's a much more settled and mannered dog now then he was back in the spring when we first got him, although he still has some strides to go. I hope the exam goes well....keeping fingers crossed....

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Well here goes...

You've done such a wonderful job with him, Lisa. You should feel enormously proud of how far he's come.

I'm sure he's had some pretty bad experiences in the past :( but he's in good hands now :D

Hope it all goes well at the vet and he doesn't have to have the thermometer treatment! Obi is very compliant with these sorts of things but the thermometer is his least favourite by a looooong way.

3. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3461.msg37979#msg37979 date=1385601983]
    ... the thermometer is his least favourite by a looooong way.
    [/quote]

Can't say as I blame him, actually.... :p

Thanks for the support, Rachel. Will be glad when it's all over tomorrow...although I am quite interested to see if all the clicker training will actually make a difference in the clinical setting. He's fine with it when I do it, but.....

Anyways I will keep you posted.

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

It's brilliant that you've done all that work on his fears. I'm sure it will make a difference :)

Good luck!

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Be good Simba!

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I hope all goes well for u and Simba :D

7. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Good luck Simba. Good luck Lisa ;)

Jen

Ps. I'll be interested to know if the clicker works at the vets might try it with mine. Both get so worked up after their traumatic experience Scott particularly can be hard work.

I'll need some tips though on how you did it. :D

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Sorry Lisa....I feel,like I'm always playing catch up....more visitors at the mo!you must be all so bored of me saying that!
    Hope that Simba did ok at the vets,he's such a lovely dog....hopefully you have a nice vet that can understand why he's a bit grumbly.....that's if he is?it will all be over by now,I really hope it was ok,let us know when you can...and I will reply back to you hmmmmm probably next February! ;D x

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Good luck! Hope it all goes well!!

10. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Woo hoo!! Soooo proud of my boy! Physical exam with nary a grumble...no issues with the pokes, or the kennel cough up-the-nose snort. Vet checked eyes (discharge nothing to worry about), teeth (perfect), squished and prodded with no complaint.

He weighs 56 lbs (25 kg), which is 9 lbs less than last visit :eek: but vet says he's in perfect form. To be fair, he is getting more exercise than when we first got him, and I do keep a careful eye on how he looks, so that's all good, too.

Got home and he ate up his de wormer tablet with no prob ::)

Feeling very pleased here!! :D

[quote author=Jen link=topic=3461.msg37998#msg37998 date=1385627503]

Ps. I'll be interested to know if the clicker works at the vets might try it with mine.

[/quote]

I did take my clicker with me...he got a c&t for the teeth exam and the eye exam but to be honest he was not tuned in on the clicker. Mainly I had been working on him before we went, doing all the things I thought the vet might do, and c&t for tolerating it nicely. But I was worried about how he would react with the vet doing it, especially since the last time was such a nightmare for him.

But he was as eager as anything to get in the door, all wags and sniffs, and greeted the vet with happy wags. Our vet is a friend of ours though, so Simba has seen him on other occasions outside of clinic, so that likely helps too.

Enjoying a celebratory cuppa now....the big boy got a couple of treats, too :D and is now snoozing it all off on his bed. Nice long walk for him later....and maybe a visit to the dog park..... ;D

11. David

David Registered Users

So that's a very well done all round then. What a relief and what a good boy and fantastic success on your part. 8)

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Great news! A huge pat on the back for you! Really, well done! Simba landed on his paws in finding you as his forever home!

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Lisa that's brilliant...oh he's a different dog since he came under your care,all credit to you,well done xxx

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good work Lisa!!

15. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

Only just seen this, well done simba, such a good boy, you made your mummy proud

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Wonderful, that's great, you must be so happy and proud! He is certainly much more sure of himself than at his last visit to the vets, and obviously trusts you that you wouldn't ask him to put up with the indignities of a vet check-up if there were any danger involved (which I am sure is why he was so bad the first time, he was afraid). Well done Simba, you've come a long way!!! :D