Wellies

Discussion in 'Using the bargains and best buys section' started by Hollysdad, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So where did people get their wellies?

Most wellies seem to have very thin and bendy soles so my feet feel tired at the end of a long walk. Can anyone recommend a pair of wellies that have a fairly solid sole?

2. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Re: Wellies

I usually wear hiking boots; but the very best pair of wellies I ever bought were from Countrywide Farmers in Chepstow. Have you looked in there?

Rosie

3. Hollysdad

As autumn sets in I find that the mud gets a bit deep for hiking boots, especially when going "off piste" with Holly. Today we found ourselves in ankle sucking mud (she loved it!).

What make were the wellies from Countrywide?

4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I can't remember... But they were fleece-lined with really thick soles, well padded. I felt a little bit like the Michelin man, but my feet loved them!

The only problem was that I forgot to store them upside down over the summer, so next winter they were full of spiderwebs which are NOT easy to remove from fleece...

5. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I have some buckboots wellies. They are the neoprene ones. I've tested a lot of wellies over the years and these are comfy , very warm and so far have lasted 18 months with no sign of damage. They are around about £50.

Cheap wellies last me a couple of months before they split and I've lost count of how many Hunters I've had. They only last me 12 months before they start to split sound the ankle.

Having said that being a farmers daughter I do live in wellies if it's wet so they do get a good wear and tear testing. ;D

6. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Go Outdoors sell Dunlop wellies that are fleece lined for warmth so I suspect they would be more comfortable in the foot too than standard wellies - I haven't tried them though.

7. Hollysdad

[quote author=Jen link=topic=8360.msg118242#msg118242 date=1413733506]
    I have some buckboots wellies. They are the neoprene ones. I've tested a lot of wellies over the years and these are comfy , very warm and so far have lasted 18 months with no sign of damage. They are around about £50.

Cheap wellies last me a couple of months before they split and I've lost count of how many Hunters I've had. They only last me 12 months before they start to split sound the ankle.

Having said that being a farmers daughter I do live in wellies if it's wet so they do get a good wear and tear testing. ;D
    [/quote]

Looking at comments online quite a few people seem to question Hunters' quality. A company called Muck Boots seem to get very good reviews but they're not cheap. Cheap wellies don't seem to last more than one winter before they start to leak, or they're so flexible that my feet ache by lunchtime. I don't mind paying if they'll last a few years.

8. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I love my Aigle parcours. They are moulded on a walking boot template, are warm and comfortable and I can do a whole day in them without problems - much better than my previous Hunters. I wore them every day for months last winter, just got them out again this week and they still look/feel as new. Definitely pricey though!

9. Bensons-dad

Bensons-dad Registered Users

[quote author=Hollysdad link=topic=8360.msg118282#msg118282 date=1413741548]

Looking at comments online quite a few people seem to question Hunters' quality. A company called Muck Boots seem to get very good reviews but they're not cheap. Cheap wellies don't seem to last more than one winter before they start to leak, or they're so flexible that my feet ache by lunchtime. I don't mind paying if they'll last a few years.
    [/quote]

Hmmm - yes mine have only lasted me 15 years so far ::), They still don't leak, but they have faded slightly :'(

That said, they don't get the same amount of use that you would put them to, the soles are very thin, and they really aren't terribly warm for winter use.

10. Jen

Jen Registered Users

www.easy-wellies.co.uk

They do a dog walking wellies section. Supposed to be comfortable and hard waring especially good for walking.

11. Hollysdad

Oh decisions, decisions :)

A place that has a special section for dog walking wellies. Wow!

I've found a place not for from where I work that does a good range of wellies. I think a lunchtime trip is in order.
    http://www.robinsonsequestrian.com/

12. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

[quote author=Jen link=topic=8360.msg118298#msg118298 date=1413744515]
    www.easy-wellies.co.uk

They do a dog walking wellies section. Supposed to be comfortable and hard waring especially good for walking.
    [/quote]

Brilliant website! Just seen a pair of muckboots on there that just might be the ticket! :)

13. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

I got my Muckboots and hubby his Aigles from Easy Wellies. No complaints so far :)

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I have used easy wellie too, but not always the cheapest.
    I have found Shoutique to be pretty good for trainers and other shoes too. I know they do wellies - Hunters, Joules and Barbour for the ladies - reasonable price but what I like is "free returns". It once cost me £10 thereabouts to return a pair of trainers I bought from another online retailer.

15. Steph

Steph Registered Users

I'm on my first pair of hunters but slightly concerned about the negative reports but all good so far.

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I'm on my 3rd pair of Hunters and I won't be buying them again as I think they are becoming sub standard tread wise, very slippery. I will be looking at wellies with a substantial tread next time. x

17. 4parajon

4parajon Registered Users

I spent hours internet surfing for decent wellies & came to the conclusion 'you get what you pay for' as I did'nt want to go thru another winter suffering in my £10 dunlop 'specials'. I narrowed it down to either Aigle or Le Chameau with neoprene lining. Unfortunately I could'nt find a pair of Aigle's locally but when I asked about them in my local gunshop (who was a stockist of Aigle's) he said he'd bought a pair of Le Chameau a few years ago and would'nt go back to Aigle's.
    I found a fairly local supplier of Le Chameau so I could try them on and I loved them, fit like a glove & very comfy. They were'nt cheap tho but I seem to suffer from getting really cold feet in the winter wearing the Dunlops yet a farmer friend wears Dunlops all day long with no complaints so it's down to the individual I spose.

18. Debs

Debs Registered Users

I bought a pair of Town & Country wellies a week or so ago in a hurry and they are awful! You can feel every lump and bump under the sole and they have started to leak. So this weekend I bought a pair of Le Chameau City All Tracks wellies and so far they are really comfortable to wear.

19. GreenBull

GreenBull Registered Users

I have muckboots (muck master) and they are brilliant. Really comfy for long walks. Spent 12 hours solid in them. Wife has aigles, parcours iso 2. They were very narrow and too warm for me.

Don't buy junk of you're going to spend slot of time in them. Your feet will suffer and you'll end up miserable.

20. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I love my Dunlop green wellies , good thick grip soles and comfy too , plenty of room for thick socks in winter .