Wellies

Discussion in 'Using the bargains and best buys section' started by Hollysdad, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Wellies

It looks like we're road testing new wellies tomorrow!

2. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

[quote author=Hollysdad link=topic=8360.msg119649#msg119649 date=1414244613]
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D

I'll be out again too. Going to try to find pond in Chepstow Park Wood, I think.

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I look forward to the result of the wellie testing!

4. Hollysdad

[quote author=Rosie link=topic=8360.msg119650#msg119650 date=1414244802]
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D

I'll be out again too. Going to try to find pond in Chepstow Park Wood, I think.
    [/quote]

Ruth, Holly and I would be happy to show you where the pond is.

5. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

[quote author=Hollysdad link=topic=8360.msg119670#msg119670 date=1414253169]
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D

[/quote]

[/quote]

Aw, we'd love that! (Pongo will be on his best behaviour with the lovely sophisticated Holly...).
    Change of plan for today though... life has got in the way so we're just going to nip across to Wentwood for a walkie... but do let us know next time you're planning to do THE POND and we'll come across and join you!

Rosie and the (very excited) Pongo

6. Hollysdad

[quote author=Rosie link=topic=8360.msg119815#msg119815 date=1414315653]
    [quote author=Hollysdad link=topic=8360.msg119670#msg119670 date=1414253169]
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D

[/quote]

[/quote]

Aw, we'd love that! (Pongo will be on his best behaviour with the lovely sophisticated Holly...).
    Change of plan for today though... life has got in the way so we're just going to nip across to Wentwood for a walkie... but do let us know next time you're planning to do THE POND and we'll come across and join you!

Rosie and the (very excited) Pongo
    [/quote]

OK. It wont be next weekend, but maybe two weeks time.

7. Hollysdad

Wellie Reviews. There's a couple of words you don't often see together. I took the Muck Masters for a walk this morning. Nothing much, just 3 miles around some local woods. I tried to find terrain that would test them out, so Holly and I took some muddy paths, a bit of rough terrain, forestry tracks and "off piste" through the trees.

Comfort: Very good. They're quite a high boot and almost came to my knees. In spite of that they didn't feel heavy or stiff but were very easy to walk in. The foot is fairly well protected, but the upper half of the boot is very flexible. Its even possible to run in them without feeling that they're flapping around. The lining and padding kept my feet warm and comfortable with just a light walking sock underneath.

Grip: Very good grip, even in slippery mud. The tread is fairly deep but has big gaps so the mud doesn't seem to collect in the tread. I tried going across a wet slope as this is where my previous boots always let me down, but these ones held on quite well.

Overall: They were easy to put on and take off. One problem I found was that my trousers would ride up inside the boot. Every ten minutes I had to tuck them in again. It could be that I was just wearing very light & loose walking trousers so this might not be a problem in heavier trousers or jeans. Generally I was very impressed with them and look forward to doing some longer walks.

8. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Great review!
    So now we have big thumbs up for Muckboots and for Aigles...

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Based on the reviews heretThink I am going to invest in a pair of muckboots, as they seem to give more ankle support? :)

10. Edp

Edp Registered Users

I usually wear my wellies out. I wear them every day. My Hunters seem pretty good though. They are also slightly shaped and give a bit of support. I have had them for years and they are awesome. Only regret was I got back instead of purple ;)

11. Hollysdad

In one of the shops I picked up some scuttlebut on Hunters from the shopkeeper. He seemed very well versed in Wellie-Lore and was a mine of useful information.

A few years ago Hunters moved production from Scotland to the far east. The Scottish boots were assembled by hand from about a dozen bits of rubber, while the far eastern ones are injection moulded. Quality control on the injection moulded ones is a problem, hence the number of complaints has risen steeply.

There are still some Scottish boots on the shelves in shops. If you see Hunters with a label "Hunters - Made in Scotland" they are originals and probably pretty good boots. If the label just says "Hunters" then be wary.

Also, the tools from the Scottish Plant were sold to a company in Serbia and are now used to make boots that are similar to the original Hunters. The shopkeeper couldn't remember the name of the new manufacturer.

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I have had three pairs of Hunters, the first pair lasted quite a few years, the second under a year. I had a wet foot this morning, got home and discovered a split on the inside of the left boot :mad: I have only had this pair for 4 months. They are rubbish so I won't be buying them again.

I have just bagged a bargain on Amazon, a pair of Aigle Parcours for £59.99!! Lets hope these last longer!! xx

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

That is a good price!
    I must say the pair I bought (that Sophie "acquired") are doing very well.

14. Hollysdad

That's a very good price.

I'm still enjoying my Muck Boots. They've turned out to be a really good wellie: warm, hard wearing and very comfortable, even on long walks.

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yes I'm chuffed, pitty they only had Brown but when they are covered in mud it' won't matter :D I don't know if the sizing comes up big or small but I ordered a 4 as usual so hope they will fit xx

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

My wellies arrived last week and they are SO comfortable it's like walking on air, best wellies I have ever owned. Bye, bye Hunters - NEVER again!! Highly recommend Aigle Parcours especially at that price :D x

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

18. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Glad you like them :)

Can't get them in Australia. We are seriously Welly deprived.

19. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Can't edit my post to correct lured into poured!

20. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Apparently, you did edit it and now it's blank!!!