We've been to agility!

Discussion in 'Agility & Flyball' started by selina27, May 5, 2018.

1. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

This afternoon Cassie and I have been to the very first fun agility session put on my a husband and wife dog training school that has started up in my locality recently using +R techniques. It was great.

There were 6 of us, 3 GSD types, one Rottie, a Cairn terrier, and Cassie. Not a collie in sight !
    The equipment was arranged in "stations" - so you worked on the tunnel, the table, and the cones and poles independently so your dog could learn the necessary techniques in their own time really. There were no jumps today as we had to work on them running fast between the poles, but I think they will be up next week.
    I really liked that way of working because it meant the dogs were occupied, and focused on learning each particular thing. I was really pleased with how quick she picked things up, but it is definitely so helpful to have done the AD games -- boundary games for the table and magic hands for the weaving and learning left and right. And I didn't think she'd do the tunnel but she did very happily after the first time.
    So a good afternoon -- hope it lasts!
    I used a raccoon toy to motivate her between the poles to start off with, the movement encouraged her, but she didn't want to play with it when she got to me! Funny little girl she is!re

edzbird, MF, Hollysdad and 8 others like this.
  2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Sounds really good.:) glad you both enjoyed it. X

selina27 likes this.
  3. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

That sounds like a really positive agility experience.

selina27 likes this.
  4. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

That's brilliant, sounds like a really good set up :). Glad to hear there were no Collies :D.

selina27 likes this.
  5. SwampDonkey

Sounds very like the one I went to. There are well run ones out there.

selina27 likes this.
  6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

So glad you had fun! :) x

selina27 likes this.
  7. Joy

Joy Registered Users

That sounds like a really good way of organising the class.

selina27 likes this.
  8. selina27

Well yes, so far so good. I think it's a stroke of luck that they are just starting up and there's no hardcore competitive element. Lovely young couple.

Yes @Jes72 it was a positive experience, @SwampDonkey and @Joy it was well organized, especially for the very first session, you could tell they were a little nervous !

@charlie , it was fun, Cassie has needed extra tea tonight -- we had our companion class this morning as well, now she is out for the count :)

Joy, charlie, drjs@5 and 2 others like this.
  9. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

That sounds really great, interesting group of dogs, too. I've done obedience with Rotties and they are...not fast :D

10. SwampDonkey

I know they find it hard don't they? They are so proud of themselves when they do it though. We had 2 that came to the class I went to one had a tail one without both were really slow and careful but the one with the tail found it easier to balance

11. selina27

@Xena Dog Princess and @SwampDonkey -- I laughed and laughed , this one is 11 months old and just adorable. When he did the tunnel he took it with him because he's so big his harness got caught on it, it was hilarious. But bless him he kept doing it, they took his harness off and all was fine, and then he got hot and went in for a ly down in the shade. He really was the entertainment !!

12. SwampDonkey

They really are sweet dogs and so goofy. I must confess I really like them they are so handsome and clever. Once you get passed the serious exterior they are silly.

13. selina27

Bit of an update, just back from a lovely afternoon with my beautiful girl at our second agility session.

Much cooler today, and only 2 other dogs present -- Oscar the adorable Rottie and Luna, beautiful long haired GSD. It was great because they all seem to really like each other.

We still worked in "stations" but with increased level of difficulty, for example, the tunnel was curved instead of straight, and jumps up this time. And then started to link them together, like the tunnel followed by a jump.

Cassie seems to really enjoy working out what is required to earn her "payment" and I was really, really pleased with her. With the jumping, if she was on my left side she kept wanting to run alongside in the heel position, which actually I was pleased about because we've been working hard on that ! So the trainer suggested I ran on the right side and bingo! Over the jumps she went -- not only that she looked to me to tell her what to do next which for Sassy Miss Cassie who loves the world was a a big deal!

And she seems to have found a love interest in Oscar! Everyone is really nice, and Cassie had no "headbursts", so I am feeling really satisfied with our outing :)

drjs@5, Karen, Stacia and 10 others like this.
  14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well done you and Cassie :D

selina27 likes this.
  15. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

selina27 likes this.
  16. Candy

Candy Registered Users

That sounds really lovely Selina. It really is bonding and good isn't it, having these positive training experiecnces. Very well done, you and lovely Cassie, who I will always remember as being just a year older than my sweet little Joy.

selina27 likes this.
  17. Joy

Joy Registered Users

That sounds such an enjoyable session - well done to you and Cassie.

selina27 likes this.
  18. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Oh, that sounds fantastic, I've really enjoyed reading your posts.

It sounds like a really well structured class. Now all you need to do is get someone to come and video it for you :D

selina27 likes this.
  19. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Sounds like a really super class. Well thought out and well executed.

selina27 likes this.
  20. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

So glad that Cassie is enjoying agility! We re-started this week (after a break of about two years I think) and Pongo had remembered nearly everything - much more than I had. He loves this game. Almost more significant for me was that he was better than two years ago at the "sit quietly tied to the fence while I walk the course" bit, and the "sit looking at me while the other dogs are working" bit. Admittedly the latter involved rapid-fire treats, but for Pongo this was real progress. And the former did include a certain amount of barking and whining. But no harnesses were broken, the fence post is still upright, and we didn't run out of treats....so in my eyes that's a triumph (small victories!).

One great thing about this class is that there is usually someone there taking photos and posting them. Here is Pongers in full flight.

agility 17 may 1.jpg

agility 17 may 2.jpg

Buddy, UncleBob, Beanwood and 10 others like this.