What age can my 6 month labrador wear a backpack

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Darren, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Darren

Darren Registered Users

Hi All

I was just wondering what age my labrador can start wearing a backpack, as I do a lot of camping and kayaking. Just wondering what weights he can start carrying, I know not to overdo it as he's still developing. He is 6 months and around 25kg

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: What age can my 6 month labrador wear a backpack

I've never done this, but I'd say definitely not before your lab is fully mature - perhaps 18 months?

3. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

There's no reason why you couldn't get him used to an empty one right now... But as Julie said I would probably wait until he's finished growing before getting him to actually carry anything in it.

4. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Backpack? errrr, really?

5. lokesh

lokesh Registered Users

what is backpack

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

A backpack is a bag that you carry on your back. This link shows you some examples of doggie ones: http://www.ruffwear.com/Products/dog_packs

My hubby really wants a backpack for Obi, even though we don't do any hiking. My first Labrador had a little cart that I made for him.

I'd say start with wearing an empty one anytime and start getting him used to weight in it at 12 months. Build up very gradually though - he will need to re-learn to balance and will need to develop extra muscle strength with it on, just like a horse leaning to carry a rider. Lead him around with it on and do lots of circles and figures of eight to get him used to turning and balancing.

7. Darren

Darren Registered Users

Thanks everyone for your advice, I will try the empty one for now until he is over 12 months as don't want to put any stress on his joints and will then slowly gradulally build it up. :)