What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Wren48, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Wren48

Wren48 Registered Users

Hi all,

I'd really, really appreciate some advice about my 11 week old puppy. She came home at 8 weeks, and for the first couple of weeks all was well. She was a typical playful, mischievous (bitey!) pup, quite hard work but manageable and we fell in love with her. Potty training and crate training went well (we use the crate at night, and for occasional 'enforced naps' during the day when she's getting overwrought, but not for hours at a time). However, things seem to have changed in the last few days.

As I said, she was always pretty bitey (which I know is normal), but the last few days she has become unmanageable. The mouthing, nipping and chewing of fingers (which we gently tried to correct) has become relentless lunging and HARD biting, ripping clothing etc. She will regularly bite down VERY hard on my arms, wrists, legs, hair, whatever she can reach... and absolutely refuse to let go. She will often draw blood, and I am covered in scratches and bruises. I have been trying very hard to keep calm with her, but she is so persistent that I am finding I am quickly losing my temper and yelling at her. This obviously just winds her up more. She is also very destructive with anything she can get her teeth on. Good job we don't own any fancy furniture!

I have tried many of the tips I have read on this site and elsewhere, such as trying to replace my body part with a toy (of which she has loads), ignoring her (makes absolutely no difference), leaving the room (assuming I can actually escape the room without her). She might calm down for a few minutes, but then it just starts up again. Most of the time, I am resorting to putting her in her crate, but she screams and howls when I do. We are also doing lots of constructive play / training, but I have a fairly small house and garden so wonder if she might be bored?

I have committed to stay home full time with this puppy for the first few months before I'll need to go back to work. But I'm finding just getting through the days with her really difficult. I've wanted a dog all of my life, and we did so much reading and prep work (plus I used to work with dogs!) so I knew that it was likely to be very hard work. But frankly, I'm pretty miserable, and so disappointed with myself that I don't seem to be able to handle it very well.

So, I guess what I'm asking is... will this get better? Does anybody have any tips for how to deal with her? The breeder said she was fully weaned at 5 weeks, which seemed very early to me - I wonder if being separated from Mum so early means she hasn't developed any bite inhibition? Is she bored out of her tiny mind, and taking it out on me? I'm at my wits end! :(

Thanks anybody who can offer me any advice.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and a very warm welcome to the forum from me and my two monsters, Willow and Shadow.

First off, yes, it will get better. It will slowly lessen and lessen and you'll suddenly realise you can bare your wrists without looking like a self-harmer anymore. You'll think back and it'll dawn on you that you've not had those little needles inside your arm for a week or more. One day, you'll even smile and think, "it couldn't have been that bad!". But, yes, while you're going through it, it really is that bad. It's a miserable time and it can be very hard to love a little crocodile.

Was she actually separated from her mum permanently at five weeks? If so, then, yes, this is far too early. Puppies need their mums and litter mates until they are eight weeks old, in order to learn loads of things, including, very importantly, bite inhibition. It may be that she was weaned at that stage, I suppose (although to me, it still sounds a bit early), but she should still have had regular contact with mum; she's not just a food station.
    So, if that's what happened, there's nothing that can be done now, but you'll have to appreciate that your job may be a lot harder than that of someone whose puppy stayed with Mum until eight weeks. You still deal with it the same way, though. As you've found, shouting is counter-productive and you need to control your frustration. For most, ignoring is absolutely the best way to go; she's biting you to initiate play and if you engage in any with her, then she's getting what she wants.

I found that the best way was to set up training scenarios, rather than just dealing with it when I was unprepared. So, I'd play nicely with Willow, crouching on the floor in a position I could stand up quickly from (or you could sit on a low chair if this is easier). She would get lots of tummy tickles, ear rubs, tuggy toy etc all the time she was playing nicely. The second she bit me, though, I would stand up, cross my arms and look away from her. Not a word, no eye contact. Yes, this can make them frustrated and she might jump up and bite your clothing, but this is because she still wants you to play. Remember, if you give her any attention, she's learning that being more persistent works, so that's what she'll do. You have to stand there and be more patient than your puppy. Eventually, she will give up and probably sit and look at you. At that exact moment, you can start cooing at her and playing with her again. Do this a few times and she will get the idea. but you must be prepared (and appropriately dressed!) to stand there, stock still, not saying anything and not giving any eye contact, for several minutes at first.

All the time you're standing there with your whirling dervish at your ankles, just keep repeating in your head, over and over "This will pass. This will pass!".

Honestly, it does work, but you have to be patient and absolutely consistent, otherwise you're giving her mixed signals and she'll take longer to learn.

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and welcome to forum from me and Juno, my chocolate girl. Nothing much to add to Fiona's advice except always have a toy to hand to block those sharp little teeth and patience - lots of it. It is a phase which will pass. I was very lucky with Juno who was never a bitey pup which I put down to not leaving the breeder until 10.5 weeks, 10 weeks is the norm here in France. Those extra 2 weeks with litter mates and mum, and in Juno's case dad as well, seems to make a huge difference to both bite inhibition and doggy manners.

Don't despair, and try not to shout as that will excite her even more. It will get better. There is also a thread on the forum , just so you know you are not alone........... and feel free to vent here on a bad day.

http://thelabradorforum.com/forum/n.../1785-puppy-problems-will-things-ever-improve

4. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Hello from 2 year old Molly and me.

She was an awful biter. I tried EVERYTHING and some things at least twice, but nothing worked. My hands were a network of fresh wounds and healing scars. I had to wear heavy lace ups and jeans all the time to protect my lower body.

I couldn't believe it. Labs are such gentle creatures aren't they? Not when they are yomg puppies they aren't. My previous dog, a little mongrel, had stopped biting or mouthing by about 12 weeks. All I had done was say "no" and turn away from her. This SO didn't work with my gentle (ha ha) labrador.

So in short, you are probably not doing anything wrong, it is the dog.

One glorious day when she was about 4 and a half months old I found myself stroking a silky ear and not getting nibbled. That day will come for you.

Today I would trust Molly's mouth anywhere. There is great strength in her jaws, but all the time she was chomping on me she was learning bite inhibition.

5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

WAs puppy actually separated from Mum and siblings at 5 weeks? Or is it just that she was eating solid food and no longer nursing? If the former then, yes, that is credited with being a problem in some pups as they need Mum and siblings to help teach them bit inhibition. It can mean the job of teaching her right things from wrong things to bite and chew will take a bit more effort and a bit more time.

11 weeks though, that's pretty normal to still be chewing and biting, They're still babies, it takes a while for them to understand. Often you will find the biting clears up around 6 months or so, just like magic. But it's probably because they are finished teething. This is not to suggest you just sit around and wait for that to happen, it probably won't if you let it go on and on.

Keep trying. I became adept at playing games that did not lead my hand into puppy's mouth and good at foretelling a bite and getting a toy in there first. Little devils. :)

6. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Hi and welcome, I've just come out the other side of this, it was awful and I do sympathise with you. If you. You may have read some of my posts. The thing that worked best was staying calm and lifting my pup into his crate for time out. When I let him out again, he'd often repeat the biting so it was straight back in. It was difficult for weeks as I had shoulder surgery and couldn't use my dominant arm, I was like his favourite tug toy for weeks. Bruised, bleeding and battered, my clothes in tatters. Saying ouch, yelping like a puppy, any verbal talk made it much worse. I'm happy to say that by around 4 months (20 weeks) he was so much better. I couldn't get down on the floor to play with him due to protecting my shoulder but I can now. The last week he has had the odd incident of grabbing my sleeve but it's nothing like before and usually when I've moved him away from something he shouldn't be doing.
    I do lots of training games using a portion of his food throughout the day. He's teething like mad at the moment and looks like a gummy bear as he's lost all his canine teeth, lol.
    It really does get better, keep calm, I've heard wine (for you) helps unfortunately I don't like wine so can't say .

7. snowbunny

Hang on, hang on. You can't just throw that out there as if it doesn't mean anything! "I don't like wine"?!?!

MOD TEAM! EMERGENCY! Can we allow this person to remain a member of the forum?!

I suppose there is always gin. Now, you're not going to tell me you don't like gin, are you?

:p

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

YES!!

It will get better, much better and soon. By 20 weeks they are really easing off the crocapup stage. Twiglet (23 weeks) now just has the occasional gentle mouth of our hands - you don't even feel it. Yet she is teething like mad - she lost six teeth this week! She was our worst crocodile so far, I thought I'd be resorting to wellies in the house at one stage.

As soon as you walk in the room have something in your hand to shove in her mouth, have toys about your person so that any time she approaches you you can put something in her mouth that isn't you (!) It soon becomes a habit, then - after a week or so - the pup will begin to pick something up as she approaches you :)

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Fully weaned usually just means 'eating solid food and not drinking from Mum'. We're the pups still hanging out with their Mum when you went to take her home?

As everyone has said, things will definitely get better! :)

10. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I say a formal warning is required at the least! I've been pregnant the whole time we've had Ella and the amount of times I've wanted a wine (or 6) to numb the pain (both physical teeth marks, claw marks and mental pain and frustration)!

Wren48 I don't have too much to add as everyone has covered it but I do remember Ella getting worse at the 11-12 week mark as I think she had become more confident with us and her new home. Good luck, it will get better ☺

11. Joy

Joy Registered Users

In my experience it gets much easier when the pup' s had their vaccination course and can go out on the ground. In the meantime could you try carrying her out, even just down your road? Or go some where in the car and then lift her out onto your lap on a bench? It will help tire her mentally and give you a break.
    And as everyone else has said, yes it will stop - probably only another 3 or 4 weeks before you're past the worst biting. (I find it hard to believe now that Molly drew blood daily at first.)

12. snowbunny

Ah yes, what Joy said. Willow always had a crazy time at 6pm. Completely and utterly mental. So I started to pre-empt it by taking her on a carry around the village. That took the edge off every time :)

13. Wren48

Wren48 Registered Users

Guys... thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I am so glad I found this forum. Such a relief to hear that others have experienced the same, that I'm not necessarily being an enormous wimp, and that perhaps this cute little puppy doesn't just hate my guts! Have spent a bit more time reading around on the forum, which has been really reassuring.

Regarding the weaning / being separated from Mum, to my shame, I'm actually not sure if they were still hanging out with Mum after weaning at 5 weeks. Something I probably should have made sure of (and not the only thing I should have understood better). I suspect they probably did have some contact still, although when I saw the litter at 5 and 8 weeks Mum was separate. It was a pretty big litter though, in a relatively small space, so perhaps they were separate just for 'ease of viewing'...

I will use your suggestions for coping for the next few weeks, and will try very hard to keep my temper and not scream in pain! I will especially try Snowbunny's suggestion to do some controlled anti-bite training, instead of just trying to deal with it once things have already escalated - I think that half the problem is that by that point she is so over-excited that I can't do anything with her. We do take her out (and carry her) but she's 7kg now and a little wriggle monster, so don't manage to go very far! Last injections were on Monday, so only a few more days before we're released from house arrest.

Funny you should all mention Gin - I may have resorted to a couple of G&Ts the last few nights - strictly medicinal (to numb the pain!) of course...:D

Anyway, thanks all again, I really appreciate it!

14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm sorry if you don't like Gin either,I fear we can't be Forum Friends

Wren48.... Hello there,I'm glad you found us when you were feeling a bit overwhelmed .Reading your replies ,The Members have rallied ( as always) with some great tips and advice and I hope you feel reassured and a bit more optimistic about getting through these early weeks.I think as well you are just learning to know your puppy......there are challenges and mishaps along the way even when they are older but you have got a better measure of their personalities and motivations.The Puppy months are a bit of a roller coaster for everyone x
    Best wishes
    Angela x

15. Newbie Lab Owner

Oh please don't ban me snowbunny, i envy people who love a tipple, lol. I could try a weak vodka and lemonade if it means I can stay

16. snowbunny

OK, in that case.... you can stay ;)

You might like to make a graph of your alcohol consumption against Dexter's age. Just out of curiosity, and in the interests of science, you understand ;)

17. Newbie Lab Owner

Ok I will but it's at zero at the moment, I just don't like the taste and I'm always on call for my parents. Can I do chocolate instead please, a whisper bar keeps me sane at times of stress. Please PLEASE PLEASE

18. Newlabpup

Newlabpup Registered Users

I think you've already gotten tons of wonderful responses but I just wanted to add that at I'm now at about 18 weeks and I can gladly say that Otis is 99% out of the crocopup stage. We went through the horrible jumping up and biting clothing/skin stage but I can gladly say that is pretty much over! An occasional crazy pup does come out but in general those are no longer issues....although we have plenty others now! ;)

He chewed our table a lot too and I can happily say that he's phasing out of that as well. So far all of his bad habits we've at least seen improvements in, which is of course all I can ask for!

Just one more thing! As a very small pup he was so concerned with biting us and attacking us that he barely cuddled. Over the last several months he has turned into the cuddliest puppy ever, which is just the best! So hang on!

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Combine 4 Mars Bars with cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until Mars Bars are melted.
    Remove lid from vodka bottle and add Mars Bar mixture.
    Tighten lid and agitate bottle for 2 minutes.
    Store in a cool, dark place.
    Shake well before serving very cold

20. Newbie Lab Owner

Oh wow, Julie, that sounds like a party