What are our chances of having a Christmas tree this year?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Tomal, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Tomal

Tomal Registered Users

Our pup will be 6 months old a few days after Christmas. He will usually obey the "leave it" command for a treat but then the forbidden item is normally removed. Will we constantly be treating during the Christmas period or is there another command we could give? Are labs actually that interested in Christmas trees?Or shall I resign myself to no tree just for one year (or two?) :)

2. Helen

Helen Registered Users

Re: What are our chances of having a Christmas tree this year?

Last night we were having that very conversation, Buster is 9 months old so this is his first Christmas, i decided we will put it up and see what happens if it stays up good, but if not oh well theres always next year to try.

3. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I wondered what my two would do when they saw a Christmas tree for the first time. They were 11 months. We had an artificial one not very tall so I put it on a small table and they didn't take much notice after the initial sniff of it.

With my old lab we always had a real tree. Again he gave it a sniff and that was it. My concern about the temptation to cock a leg was unfounded. ;)

The main danger I found to the Christmas tree was not the front end of a Labrador but the back. Damage by tail is a definite possibility. ;D

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Tatze was a young pup last Christmas - she was just fine with our tree, which stood on the floor. I think cats and Christmas trees are more of a problem than dogs :)

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I got a small tree when mine were pups, one that would stand on the table/bookcase/dresser whatever, didn't risk leaving them with a full sized tree after the incident with the cat ::) ::)

6. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Murphy was 6 months old last christmas. We had a real xmas tree and he sniffed it when it first went up and then ignored it. The only thing was we didnt but any baubles within his reach just in case, and his waggy tail meant some of the low branches lost their needles quicker than id have liked but other than that all fine :)

7. David

David Registered Users

I found the challenge wasn't the tree but the wrapped presents that seemed irresistible. Lady is 5 years old now so the wrapped presents are still irresistible! ;D

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We have been lucky.
    First couple of years we had a real one...now a fake one :-\
    Little interest. We even hang chocolate on it ( not within nose height ;D )
    I think we have had 2 opened presents. Both Sophie's and oddly neither had food.
    We were lucky.
    Be prepared to regroup!

9. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I was just about to mention the present thing as well. All my Labradors have been expert at unwrapping presents from a young age. Probably best if father Christmas doesn't leave presents under the tree unsupervised. ;D

10. Joy

Joy Registered Users

With previous pups, they were each about 8 months old at Christmas. We had a real tree on the floor each time and had no problems. (No edibles on it). Last year Molly was less than 4 months so we had a tiny real tree on the windowsill. Somehow I doubt we're going to have a tree on the floor this year as she is still very naughty about chewing. No children here so not such a big deal.

11. Steph

Steph Registered Users

Good timing on this thread. We just bought our tree yesterday (fake one in a sale, I'm not THAT ready for Christmas!). When I was a youngster, my mum had two kids under 3 plus a spaniel puppy. Rather than spend all day chasing us away from the tree, the tree was put in the play pen. Thinking I may have to invest in some kind of cordon myself this year.

12. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We normally put up a large real one in the corner of our lounge. The whole family is coming this year, so lots of pressies under the tree...should be um..very interesting!!! ::) ::) ;D

13. Lolly3980

Lolly3980 Registered Users

Really interesting hearing everyone's thoughts as we were just talking about it this week. We've also got 2 very young kids (2.5years & 9 months old) so I'm thinking our Christmas tree is going to stand little chance of survival between the kids & Rollo!! I think we're going to put our big tree in the lounge as that's where we'll spend the day on Christmas Day when all the family are round but normally we spend all our time in the family room so will just maybe put a smaller tree on a table in here. Neither the kids or pup are allowed in the lounge unsupervised so the big tree *should* hopefully last ok. Will put the wrapped presents under that one too. Got a feeling the family room one will be a challenge though :)

14. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My sister always comes to us for Christmas with her two labradors, and as we have 2 as well it can be interesting. I think the hardest year was when we had all four dogs ranging from 9 months to the eldest at 2yo, although the year with just 3 of them at 4 months, 6 months and 12 months runs a close second....the tree has always survived unscathed but wrapped presents never, ever go under until bedtime on Christmas Eve.

15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

We had a tree up last year and Harley was 5 months old. She didn't touch the tree and only gave presents a quick sniff ::) hopefully she will be the same this year.......we will wait and see ;)

16. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

This was our discussion and tree showcase from last year....

Without reading through it I think the only casualty was Lisa with Simba....I think she started off with a tree and ended up with a twig ;D

http://www.thelabradorforum.com/index.php?topic=3507.msg38626#msg38626

I think I'll be the Tree Leader this year too...I've got 12 for a Xmas Dinner on 27 th Nov so my trees and decs are going up on 25 th November !!! Just sent my MIL home with all my Xmas cards too....
    I know,I know you hate me ......many do! ;D

17. 46heritageway

46heritageway Registered Users

We had this exact conversation today and we were just taking bets on how long the tree would last.

Our little Ozzie will be about 8 and half months at Christmas, I'm not sure our tree will last very long as he's very inquisitive with everything and his leave it isn't great but we will keep working on it and who knows it might be ok, will keep you posted.

Good luck to everyone else :)

18. Tomal

Tomal Registered Users

Thank you for all your replies, you've made me feel hopeful that we will still have our tree! I'd guessed the bit about presents, he gets given some of his kibble in small boxes every day so he would just think it was dinnertime!! :)

19. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Our tree survived a two year old lab and a puppy last year, though we did put it in the corner, partly blocked by furniture, and didn't put the presents under the tree until Christmas Day.

The only problem I can remember over many years and several dogs involved our Tibetan Terrier. The children and I had just finished decorating the tree. He rushed into the room, shot round the back of the tree to investigate, got caught up in the wire from the fairy lights and pulled the whole thing over. We had to start again ... and I think we then stood it in a playpen! :(

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=8670.msg122644#msg122644 date=1415554400]
    so my trees and decs are going up on 25 th November !!! Just sent my MIL home with all my Xmas cards too....
    I know,I know you hate me ......many do! ;D
    [/quote]

I think I've said this before - you can seriously go off people!

Oh well, I have yet again resolved to be more organised this year - I know I won't be. I'll run round in a last minute panic, buying flowers and a tree....it usually works out though.