What bed should I buy?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Debs, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Having successfully de-crated Miss Maisie ;D, we are currently borrowing a huge dog bed from a neighbour. It's way too big! So, what would you buy for a nearly 5 month old pup? She doesn't chew or destroy anything ;D. There are so many different types of bed available out there it's bewildering!!!

Any thoughts?[​IMG]

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: What bed should I buy?

Meg Beds from Overhill Kennels, they have a website. They are light and comfortable and I buy the cover for them, you would need a size 4 for a Labrador. As long as the dog is not a destroyer they last for years, all my friends have them.

3. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I've been debating this, having recently de crated Penny. Though at the moment we still have the crate available for her. I feel I should get her something like a memory foam pad but I'm terrified of her destroying it, she hasn't ripped up a bed since she was 4 months old though so we might be ok. At the moment we just have a peice of vet bed with a soft duvet plus a Sherpa fleece and she seems to prefer this to her Danish designs mattress bed.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly recommends a double divan with fluffy duvet and over-stuffed pillows.

I f she can;t get on our bed (I do exaggerate it's appeal ;) ) her next favorite is a beanbag with vetbed on top.
    Recently bought a 3inch memory foam pad and used an old cover on it - seems popular, but time will tell.

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I brought Harley an 8inch thick memory foam bed last year with 2 covers. The mattress is covered by a waterproof lining too. I got it from Treeline Products UK. Cost about £40. It hasn't lost any of the 'bounce' at all - my daughter often sprawls all over it when watching TV in the evenings and says it's more comfortable than her bed! I got the XL - it is really big, but Harley loves it.
    Good luck on finding a bed for Maisie :)

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie is (or was - dramatically improved recently) a chewer. He never chewed beds though. Odd, since he chewed everything else in reach.

He really seems to love his memory foam beds. I viewed them as a bit of an investment, but after more than a year of use they seem to be pretty much as good as new. I can wash the covers and hoover the memory foam. I'll be surprised if I don't have the same beds in 5 years or more...

7. rubyrubyruby

rubyrubyruby Registered Users

Tbh it is still early days for chewing at 5 months! If they are going to be chewers you have the worse to come so I really wouldn't spend much money on any bed until they are over 1, otherwise you could be wasting your money! I didn't decrate my girls until they were about 15 months. I then invested in zippy beds as they can be wiped, washed in the machine or hosed down.

Hope this helps.

Chloe

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree with rubyrubyruby - it's when the big back teeth settle in that they can chew through anything!

???

9. David

David Registered Users

They like to lie at pretty much full stretch so a reasonably large bed. We have an old sofa in the back room and we gave that to Lady as a bed when we got fed up with her dog bed getting in the way.

I'm afraid the destruction madness never quite goes away but hopefully your new bed will not be a target! ;D

10. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Yes, as David said - don't be tempted to buy a smaller bed because she appears to like to curl up - most dogs only do this because they are forced to because their beds are too small.

I would say go for as large as possible - she will always grow into it :)

Penny's physiotherapist told me the flat mattress types are best as they don't encourage curling up and allow the dog to sprawl in the most comfortable position for them - which for Penny is led on her side at full stretch as it's comfier for her bad hips.

11. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Thanks guys, you've given me food for thought! :)

12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I use vet bed laid on top of a Tuffie bed - both very easy to keep clean and very comfy for the dog :D

Vet bed washes and washes, I use it for mats on the wooden floor too.

[​IMG]

Here is the Tuffie without the vet bed -

[​IMG]

13. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Thanks Mags, looks really god! Off to surf the net! ;)
    Super photos :)

14. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam likes to lay flat out, not curled up at all , he has a Danish Design box duvet with a washable cover, plus a spare one . Only problem being that as Sam is very big ( 38 kilos ) his bed is the largest available , it doesnt half get in the way at times ;)

15. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Coincidence Pippa has just done an article on the Labradorsite all about puppy beds. ;D