What food to put in a Kong toy?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by PantsFM, Sep 20, 2023.

1. PantsFM

PantsFM Registered Users

I've read that frozen food can be put into a Kong type toy to help with teething. My question is...what food?
    My 12 week old (as of today 20th September) is eating Kibble only so should I be soaking some of it and mushing it up?

2. Katrin

Katrin Registered Users

Yes, soak the kibble in warm water, mash it up, stuff the kong and freeze it.

It can be a bit frustrating tho for a small puppy to get working on a frozen kong, you could try, soak, mash and refrigerate first. It's less work licking out the cold stuff.

Banana works well too, but at 12 weeks old you might be better off sticking with their usual kibble. Hope that helps.

3. PantsFM

PantsFM Registered Users

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a go

4. CeeCee

CeeCee Registered Users

We used to stuff Hillary's kong with peanut butter and chopped carrot. Didn't need to freeze it. The peanut butter kept her busy.

5. PantsFM

PantsFM Registered Users

That sounds good. Thanks for the reply. I'll get some of the dog friendly stuff tomorrow

CeeCee likes this.
  6. carollewis

carollewis Registered Users

Absolutely, using frozen food in a Kong toy is a great idea for teething puppies! For your 12-week-old, you can definitely use his regular kibble. Soaking it a bit and mushing it up can make it easier for him to lick and chew.

You could also get creative and mix in some puppy-safe ingredients like plain yogurt, unsalted peanut butter, or even a bit of banana. Just be mindful of the portions and make sure it's suitable for your pup's age and size. The cold and different textures can provide relief for teething discomfort.

Experiment a bit to see what your puppy enjoys the most. It's a fun way to provide both mental and physical stimulation. Happy teething to your little one!

7. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Just a gentle reminder to anyone following along, that it's important to make sure peanut butter is free of xylitol, if you're giving it to your pup. :)