What fruit or veg can be added to puppies diet?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Dave Bennett, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Registered Users

Hi there.We were wondering what fruit and vegetables Labs like and what ones are strictly forbidden!!!!

2. soberbyker

soberbyker Registered Users

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

It also depends how old your pup is. I usually wait until they are settled on their diet and been with me for a while before adding new food stuffs. You don't want to upset a young dogs tummy .i slowly introduce things and fit the first few months am very careful.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would wait until the pup is at least five months old.

Mollie (nine months) loves carrots :)

5. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

My dog (not a Lab but I don't think it makes a difference) liked:

green beans
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    okra
    zucchini
    apples
    bananas

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Shadow would look at you as if you were trying to kill him if you gave him any of those. As a puppy, he would take them, play with them and maybe eat them (cauliflower once and never again - that was not a pleasant few hours :D ) but as an adult? Not a chance!

drjs@5 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  7. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanley loves carrots and cucumber :D

He also loves apples and gets a bag of his own from my dads apple tree.

Although he says it's not anywhere near in the league of sausages or cheese! To be fair, I totally agree with him!

8. Emily_BabbelHund

Ah, but the secret is mixing the icky veggies and fruits in with the yummy chicken, sardines and liver. Especially the liver! :cool:

snowbunny likes this.
  9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

My dogs would lick it out and spit the bits they don't like. Moo especially she hates banana. Rory hides stuff he doesn't like in the curtains

10. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

As a person who's mother tried that to camouflage mashed potatoes I can tell you that doesn't work. LOL REally it won't work with some dogs either and if you try it with cats you're liable to poison the one food they will eat.

I do like to introduce treats of different foods very soon. I found carrots were too hard for puppies but after the carrot lay on the deck in the sun for a few hours it softened up and became interesting, first to play with, then to gnaw on.

kateincornwall likes this.
  11. Emily_BabbelHund

True that I've never had a really picky dog. Brogan sometimes just didn't want to eat no matter what you put in front of him, but most of the time, if there was chicken, sardines and/or liver involved, he'd eat anything I stuck in front of him. And he did seem to go for the gloppy combo (meat/fish plus veggies and fruit) better than anything, because he would never eat anything individually (say, if you offered him a slice of apple or banana on its own). I guess it's kind of a trial and error thing for each individual!

12. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

Plum eats any fruit and veg she's given; she's had apples, bananas, melon, cherries, strawberries, raspberries, cauli, green beans, broccoli, carrots, sugar snap peas, tomatoes. She eats apples and carrots the most because they're what I don't mind giving away as much as some of the others.

13. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I didn't introduce anything besides kibble for the first few months, except carrot. As she got older, her tummy got stronger and now she eats literally anything except celery and beets. She loves all fruit, especially berries and apple. She loves pieces of lettuce, cucumber, green beans and sweet potato! Usually she gets this as I'm cooking, just little pieces but I sometimes save some cooked veggies to add to her kibble.