What should I look for when buying a black Labrador male

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by I mrs Gelder, Oct 14, 2019.

1. I mrs Gelder

I mrs Gelder Registered Users

dont want to breed from him. So many different prices and information is it necessary to have a hip and elbow and eye check or for the puppy to be kennel Club registered . All we want is a nice natured puppy that is great with kids.is there anything else I should look for in a litter when I go, eg with puppies or parents or even what I should ask breeders. Just need good advise is please want one for Xmas preferably. Thanks we are new to this

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

There are no guarantees with any dog but by getting one from an approved breeder you can reduce the risks of issues in the future. Dogs are more expensive that have had the full raft of screening and tests but these provide some reassurances that your beloved pet can avoid some health issues in the future. In my opinion it’s not worth buying a dog without full screening, and foolish not too. The champdogs site is a good place to look. Lots of screened dogs on there. You might be rushing it for Christmas, it takes a while to find the right dog. Winter in the UK at least, is not the best time to get a pup. It’s hard toilet training in sleet, wind, rain etc...I always get mine in Spring. Good luck with your search.

3. J.D

J.D Registered Users

There are lots of good breeders out there(Champdogs is a good starting point if you are in the UK) Many have waiting lists and if you want one by Xmas it will be born fairly soon. I would avoid Xmas as a time to pick up a puppy as they are very full on in the first few weeks.
    Please buy one that is health tested.

Edp likes this.