What should I try??

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by Ziva's mom, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Ziva's mom

Ziva's mom Registered Users

We have a new puppy. She's almost 6 months old. When I go to put her out in the morning she would bark and jump at the door until I got my other dog on his leash to go out. So I started putting him out first then her figuring that would stop her from barking and jumping at the door. But she still does it. Any suggestions on what to try to get her to stop this?? I have started making her sit before I unhook her to let her back in since she liked to pull on the leash and try barging into the house. Is that something I should continue to do as well?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Boogie

Boogie Moderator

Welcome to you from Mags, Tatze and Mollie from Manchester UK :hi:

Tatze is my pet dog, a black Lab and she's four years old. Tatze means 'paw' in German.

Mollie is my fourth Guide Dog puppy, a black Lab who is eight months old.

Could I ask why you are putting her out?

3. Ziva's mom

:hi: Thank you.

Sure. I put them out to go to the bathroom. We don't have our yard fenced in yet and we live in a area that I just can't open the door and let them out. So I have to put them on a leash.

4. Boogie

Boogie Moderator

I would go with her and take treats to train good behaviour while on the lead.

I teach a command so that they potty on cue, so that it doesn't take long.

I would also teach good recall so that your dogs can be offlead in any (safe) area. Total Recall is the best book by far on recall. Mollie is eight months old and has always had perfect recall, it's a lot of work but well worth the effort :)

Also - http://www.thelabradorsite.com/dog-recall/

Ziva's mom likes this.
  5. Ziva's mom

Thank you so much I will check into that :)