What size carrier for puppy?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by cubby, Sep 14, 2014.

1. cubby

cubby Registered Users

Our lab breeder would like for us to have a pet carrier with us when we bring our puppy home for the first time. I'm talking about a small portable carrier, like what you would bring your cat to the veterinarian in. she estimates the pup will be about pounds when we pick it up in 3 weeks. So what size do you think I'll need ? I'd like it to fit on my lab so I can hold the pup at times too, but alSo satisfy the breeder with a safe ride home for the puppy. I'll probably try to borrow one from someone at work if I can so I do nt have to purchase one. I'd like to have a rough estimate of what size I should be looking for.

Thanks!!

2. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Re: What size carrier for puppy?

I didnt use one, Bouncer sat on my lap on the back seat while my father-in-law drove.

Bouncer behaved impecably, no accidents or whining, he did a wee as soon as we got home. Also it ment I had a whole hour bonding with him on way home.

3. skooch

skooch Registered Users

I had one for bringing K home which was about 40x60cm, it was probably a little on the large side for her at 8 weeks though. Regardless it was never used when bringing her home from the breeders, she refused to go into it so spent the time crying (for the first 5mins only) & then sleeping in my Mums arms whilst I drove.

I can see why the breeder asks for it thinking it would make the pup safer but just because the breeder requires it, doesn't mean your pup is going to settle down in it, especially if it's their first time in a car. Looking back, considering how long it took to get K comfortable with the car, or her crate, it's actually asking a lot for a puppy to adapt to a carrier so quickly for the ride home.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

What about borrowing one of the cat ones?
    The one I have (for our rabbit) has a snap off lid - the base would be good to use to pop your pup in on the back seat with a towel maybe. Assuming someone will be sitting alongside.
    Do you think that would do?

5. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

I considered a Cat one but the one I had was a bit small.

6. Steph

Steph Registered Users

Do you have a long journey home? Maybe the cat one would do for a short trip as pupster wouldn't be in it for long?

7. cubby

cubby Registered Users

Ride should be about 2.5 hours. I know the dog will not want to be in the carrier. I'll probably hold the pup. But I want to put it IN the carrier when I leave the breeders. To make her happy.

8. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

[quote author=cubby link=topic=7809.msg109423#msg109423 date=1410705262]
    Ride should be about 2.5 hours. I know the dog will not want to be in the carrier. I'll probably hold the pup. But I want to put it IN the carrier when I leave the breeders. To make her happy.
    [/quote]

Our drive was about 2 hours, and our girl was so exhausted when we picked her up, she passed out as soon as we put her in the carrier and slept the whole 2 hours home. But she had also been carted around in a vehicle all morning with her siblings, so that helped to wear her out.