What to do?

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by BuddysRick, Jan 23, 2017.

1. BuddysRick

BuddysRick Active Member

I signed my pup up for Obedience classes. The instructor seems very experienced but she doesnt use a clicker. The training room has a lot of echo and Im worried that If I bring my clicker its going to be too distracting for everyone. Its a group class with about 8 or so people.

Ive been doing clicker training and my boy seems to respond to it well. Should I just take my clicker and continue on or try teaching with using Yes! as the marker for the class like the instructor would like and then do clicker at home? I dont want things to get too confusing.

2. Jyssica

Jyssica Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I took my clicker and asked if I was okay to use it. The trainer said yes, she said (and someone please correct me if she is wrong)... that the dog focuses in on you... its you PLUS the clicker that is training him.. so she told me if 5 people brought clickers after the 1st few cliks the dog would focus on only me...

3. xxryu139xx

xxryu139xx Registered Users

I don't think it will matter. I use the clicker sometimes, but I never used it during class. We all used "yes." 5 owners saying yes at the same time doesn't really seem to phase each individual pup. They seem to only respond to the person they are actively engaged with at the time. Besides, assuming that none of the other pups have been exposed to a click before, they wouldn't know what to do with it.

4. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I started off with a clicker but after obedience classes just use "good".

I find it much easier as I never have to carry a clicker now and it seems to do just as well :)

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  5. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Supporting Member Forum Supporter

If I forget my clicker I use good and it works fine. I went on a clicker training course with Mabel held in the trainers front room and we all had loads of fun and no confusion at all.

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

You don't distract the other dogs and if the trainer says that then they're wrong. I've been in classes with everyone clicking away - more than that, I use my clicker with all three of my dogs in the room - and they all know who the click is for. But, if you'd rather use a word, then it's always handy to have one anyway for when you don't have your clicker with you. I still prefer to use my clicker, but use "yes" either when I don't have it, or when I can't use the clicker, for example, if it's going to be too awkward (trimming nails), or too close to their head (brushing teeth etc).

Naya likes this.
  7. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Sometimes I use my clicker at training, mostly I don't. With one exception, I've always been the only person at training to use a clicker. I don't think it distracts people because we're all so focussed on our dogs.

8. BuddysRick

BuddysRick Active Member

Great replies. Thanks!

9. leejane

leejane Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I only use my clicker now when I'm teaching a new trick or behaviour, so reward for very slight improvements / changes. I used it for loose lead walking a couple of years ago, but now only use 'good boy' and a treat for praise. I agree that it should be fine to use in a class of people thought didn't do it myself

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

People who don't use clickers, or don't go to group classes where everyone uses a clicker, do tend to worry that their dog might get confused by the click of someone else's clicker. This does happen to dogs who aren't used to it at first, but they soon figure out that if it's not their owner clicking, then no treat follows.

Neither of my dogs pay attention to anyone else's clicker. I have more of a problem in Charlie responding to other people's whistle!

Harley Quinn likes this.
  11. Sven

Sven Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We got told by our first trainer that each dog will only respond to the clicker that they have been trained on. Given how clickers sound very similar or the same depending on clicker type we tried this theory at home. Yes you guessed it, made no difference as she responded to the each clicker with us.
    Biggest problem we had was in class when everybody was clicking she got confused in the beginning. Partly of the problem I thought was the space betwee us all, not enough.
    We now are at a different school and I am the only one using a clicker. I get some funny looks at times from others, but I get the response I want. Trainer has no issue with it.
    We just have clickers all over the place....

I would do what ever works for the two of you.

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Yeah, that's fairly nonsense. I didn't have to charge each type of clicker I tried. Once they understood that a click was the event marker, the slight difference in tone made no difference.

13. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

We were concerned about this because there are about 20 dogs in our group class and we all use the same clicker - it comes with the class. Although Harls may have been initially distracted by the other clickers (she is distracted by cars driving by and birds in a tree) she only responds to our one. The association is very quickly made that the other clickers don't give treats:)