What to expect

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by AJ, Jun 30, 2017.

1. AJ

AJ Registered Users

Hey all,

I Know its been quite a while since I've been on here, just wanted to update you all. Koda is now almost 13 weeks old so we've been together for a lonnggg 5 weeks. There were definitely times during those 5 weeks were I questioned what I'd done and wondered if I was even going to be able to make it to the next day. However, after I settled in to a routine its been more fun than I could have ever expected.

I've been so lucky with how great Koda is. She wasn't really mouthy or bitey to begin with which has been excellent. She already knows sit, stay, come, down and paw pretty well, whether or not she listens is another story :rolleyes:. Just a few cute things she does... Every morning she'll find something she isn't suppose to have and play the keep away game (which consists of me casually creeping closer and her darting away when i get close), she gets so excited to see other people to the point where her tail looks like a helicopter and she literally pees herself with excitement.

Anyhow now that she's a little over 3 months old I was just wondering what to expect next? I feel like its been a little to good to be true based on all the stuff Ive read haha... so is this just the quite before the storm?

Ps I have a ton of pictures Ill try to post some on here later today

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Koda sounds a dream ! Its hard to predict what comes next because they are all so very different in behaviours . My advice would be to embrace her good times, ignore the not so good and just enjoy each day as it comes ! There will be fun times ahead , peppered with a few not so fun days , but before you know it , she will be all grown up , so relax and enjoy your little one x

selina27 and Plum's mum like this.
  3. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

What to expect later depends on what you put in now. If you haven't already, get a copy of "total recall" and start recall training asap. Lots of off lead follow the leader and hide and seek. Get Koda running to you before the tables change and you begin having to run after her. And have fun, I stressed out in the beginning about training and trying to eradicate behaviours I didn't want. We always had dogs but this was mine to screw up. Lol. Couldn't pass the buck so I was obsessed with the correct training techniques. Now we work at his pace and are best buds. The way it should be. I'm not his owner, I'm his friend and I just happen to be the one he needs to listen to for safety and resources.

4. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

As Kate says, they are all different! I kept notes on Quinn's first year and 14 weeks is when she started swallowing random things (puppy toy, socks) and we had to up our 'leave it' and 'drop it' training a lot. She started pulling a bit on the leash and getting more confident outside. We started on recall from day 1 and worked a lot on it outside from 14 weeks onward with games in the park etc.

You also have teething coming up, which is when Quinn got a bit more bitey (she was not an overly bitey pup really) and I really had to find things for her to chew (I froze wash cloths), especially in the evenings.

They get big so fast and I spent so much of the puppy age worrying...enjoy it!