what to play with?????

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by clc1, Oct 30, 2012.

1. clc1

clc1 Registered Users

Hi everyone, its my first time on here today and i'm looking for some advice. I have a nine month old black lab called billy, has anyone got any good ideas of what i can leave on the floor for him to play with/chew when i'm away? everything i give him (even so called "indestructible" toys) get destroyed and im running out of ideas he's even eaten a kong!!! the only thing he's taken too and not completely ruined is a Nylabone but im worried he will get bored as the selection of what i can leave for him is getting less and less!! thanks in advance for any ideas! x

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: what to play with?????

Hi there and welcome to the forum :D

Wow! that is amazing!. Maybe you could try the ultra-indestructible kongs. I think they are black?
    I am sure that others will have some ideas too.

Pippa

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi, Charlie used to eat everything, but a Kong stuffed with peanut butter or cream cheese and frozen kept him entertained for a few hours when I had go out, although at 22 months he hardly needs it now. I always have one stuffed and in a bag in the freezer ready to go if I know I am going to be a little longer than usual! Helen

4. clc1

clc1 Registered Users

hi thanks i didnt realise there was an ultra kong! that is definately worth a go i was expecting a heavy chewer when we got him but honestly i didnt realise he would be this bad! with an ultra kong do you have to fill it with loads as i noticed with the large kong we had i wouldve had to put alot of something in there to freeze everything i put in there seemed to just fall out!

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I bought the medium size which is perfect to fill so that your not over doing it with the goodies, works a treat! Hope that helps Helen :)

6. Sharon

Sharon Registered Users

Hello,
    If you feed your dog kibble then you could alternate with layers of kibble. My dogs do well with Kong's but have also found zogoflex fairly indestructible too. :)

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there!
    Just to say, our black lab Lilly is 2&1/2 and she isn't really a chewer, but decided during the summer that her nylabone just had to be destroyed!
    Just to let you know ;D
    I would recommend the tough kong too! Mashed banana is a favorite - can push it right in, no falling out, freezes overnight. Yum :p
    Jacqui

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Mashed Banana that's a great idea, I will try that too. Thanks Helen :)

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

No need to be messy and mash the banana first though - just push it in!
    jac

10. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Another suggestion is a marrow bone, keeps them quiet for hours trying to get the marrow out and also good for their teeth, plus a cheap " toy " :)

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Kate, I've heard that you SHOULDNT leave a marrow bone with a dog on its own, as they can chew off sharp little bits of bone. I think marrow bones are fine with supervision; dont think I'd leave a dog on his own for any length of time with it though.

12. case9727

case9727 Registered Users

Do you keep the kong in the freezer with the treat in it or just freeze the kong?

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Freeze it with the treat in it, that's what I do and it takes them hours to get the treat out - brilliant!! Helen

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I just remembered that once I tried stuffing Lilly's Kong with a bit of peanut butter and small logs of carrot. I squeezed so much carrot in that she couldn't get it out! It was still mostly intact when I got home. The lesson is, too much carrot is not good! ::)
    Jacqui

15. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

my pup hasn't quite worked the kong out yet (11 weeks).
    I popped a couple of bits of meat in with home made stock and froze it. gave it to him and popped out on the school run. Came back & kong had just defrosted and left a nice wet meaty smelling piece of vetbed...think I need to make it a bit easier for him....or turn the heating down!