When Bunny met Harvey

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by UncleBob, Aug 15, 2014.

1. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I quite often get to see various wildlife on my walks with Harvey; stray cats, pheasants, foxes, and rabbits. Lots of rabbits. The strange thing is that Harvey is so scent-driven that he always has his nose to the ground and doesn't see them - the last fox crossed the path in front of us no more than 15 feet away!

That all changed today. Harvey was running through some long grass and something else was running through the long grass towards him. Suddenly a rabbit appeared and both the rabbit and Harvey stopped in their tracks.

I feared for the rabbit's wellbeing - Harvey destroys soft toys in short order (he once even destroyed one of the notorious lambies!). I saw the rabbit jinking and twisting this way and that way, as fast as its little legs would carry it, all the time being relentlessly followed by a set of ferocious teeth, contained within immensely powerful jaws, and wrapped up in 30kg of snarling muscle and sinew. Once the rabbit was caught the yellow corn field was suddenly awash with crimson, the ears of corn dripping bunny blood onto the dry ground, in a scene that could have been the animal equivalent of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Well, that's what raced through my mind anyway. What actually happened was that Harvey turned to me for guidance :eek: I called him to me and he just trotted along as if it was perfectly normal for a rabbit to run up to him like that! I praised and treated him and hoped that the rabbit would make the most of the opportunity and hop off. I'm not sure what this means for Harvey's prowess as a gundog but I'm glad I didn't have to deal with the aftermath of a bloody bunny bashing. ;)

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: When Bunny met Harvey

I saw a springer spaniel and a hare have a face off once would have made a stunning photo! Luckily the handler managed to keep his dog steady, I don't know who blinked first but the hare safely made cover and everyone breathed again :)

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh wow! Harvey you are a star! I aspire to have such benign behaviour on my walks!

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

;D Hilarious!!!

Harvey, you are a terribly good boy :)

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

It's wasn't the fact that there could have been a bunny massacre that bothered me so much in this story.....more that Harvey has terminated a Lambie......hmmmm that isn't going to be forgotten...and once the Obster hears of this,well all I can say is stay vigilant!
    Good show Harvey on ignoring the bunny x

6. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Well done Harvey- good boy!

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Three new Lambies came into the house yesterday (as Substitute Lambies for when the Original Lambies need washing). So now we have 6 Lambies here. Not a good time to be raising the ire of the Lambie Network, Harvey.

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Beautifully described, had me on the edge of my seat as blood splattered across the virgin cornfield. Such a relief that the angel Harvey was only slightly perplexed by the big eared creature - but next time, who knows ;D

9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Well done Harvey :) such a proud moment :)

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

At training a few weeks ago, our waiting area was in some quite long grass. We were there most of the morning, between tasks, six dogs and handlers. At lunch, only Pops and I were still there, having a little snooze while the others went off to get a coffee. Suddenly Pops stiffened, and STARED at a patch about five feet away from here... She started to creep towards it... And a hare leapt up and bolted over the field!!! It must have been there all morning, lying completely still! :eek:

Not one of our working line dogs had noticed it... ::)

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good boy Harvey!

He has destroyed a Lambie? :eek:. Brave boy, Harvey, very brave.

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I can't wait for chapter 2 UB, nail biting stuff!! well done Harvey you are a very good boy xx :)