When can you use flea/tick medicine ?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Dan.NY, May 12, 2014.

1. Dan.NY

Dan.NY Registered Users

What age can this be used? I found a good size tick crawling on my puppy this past weekend. Good thing her coat is white or I would never have seen it.

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Re: When can you use flea/tick medicine ?

Probably best to see your vet then you can be sure you're getting the right medication for your puppy. Molly was first given Advocate (by vet) at 8 weeks.

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

No expert but I think they can be used from 8 weeks but I would advise you to CHECK THE PACKAGING AND INSTRUCTIONS. Or of course your vet.
    If you don't have one, I would advise you to invest in a tick removing tool. I think personally the O'Tom Tick Twister is best - comes in two sizes and very easy to use.
    Check out YouTube there are some great videos about detecting and removing ticks, and for those who don't actually know what they look like, what they actually look like :D

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good idea to check with your vet. Advocate and Advantix (for example) come in different prescriptions depending on the weight of the puppy.

5. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I think there are different products designed for use on different ages of dog. I know that frontline spray can be used on young puppies, but not the spot on for example so it's best to check with your vet for advice.