When did your puppy get their adult coat?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by maisiesmomma, Mar 14, 2015.

1. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

Maisie has always been a verrrry sleek little baby. Maybe a month or so ago, she started getting some fuzz and feathering a bit on her back legs by her butt. And just in the past week I've noticed her getting fuzzier almost everywhere! She now has fuzzies on her undertum, her front legs, under her chin, on her head… she's getting fuzzier! I think this is her growing more of her adult coat which won't be as sleek I assume as her puppy coat… so just wondering when the adult coat fully came in for your pups and how it changed from a puppy!

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Re: When did your puppy get their adult coat?

Well, as a first timer, I'm not sure but Chepi seemed to have a lot of hair to lose around her rear when she was about 8-9 months; I was just pulling it out with my fingers as it was loose. Other than that, I haven't noticed anything. She is about 10.5 months now.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think Charlie's first baby fur was gone pretty quickly, 3 months or so, but it wasn't until he had grown his first winter coat that he had a very obvious undercoat and thicker hair along his back. Because of the timing of when he was born, this was at about 10 months.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Gypsy is having her first big moult at 9 months - it's yellow hair-city here!

:)

5. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Bella is 5 months and she started to lose her baby coat a few months ago, she's got so much fur around her bum and bag legs it does look funny ;D her tail is also wild ha , I got the furminator out that other day to tidy her up ;D

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Willow hasn't had a big moult yet, but Shadow was a nightmare about a month ago. There was (and still is) yellow hair EVERYWHERE! I don't know if Willow's is still to come or if she's been more discreet about it. I don't think either of them still have their puppy coat - in my mind, the puppy coat was fuzzier and less shiny than the adult coat, although Willow being black is a lot shinier than Shadow - I think that's normal, though.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=10197.msg149593#msg149593 date=1426408640]
    the puppy coat was fuzzier and less shiny than the adult coat, although Willow being black is a lot shinier than Shadow - I think that's normal, though.
    [/quote]

Apparently....according to the extended breed standards....the adult coat is supposed to be matt....this is because if the dog has a proper undercoat, it shows through very slightly on the top coat, giving an overall matt appearance. You often see working dogs with a very high shine on black, but you don't so often see this on show dogs. I have wondered whether this is to do with the variation in under coats.

Having said that, Charlie has a very distinctive coloured undercoat, it's a very dark mouse colour, very different to his top coat, and is clearly seen through his top coat up close (little divisions in his top coat show up as the dark mouse colour), but he is extremely shiny!

Sorry....geeky Labrador coat information there!

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I would also say proper baby fur was gone around 3-4 months. Riley ended up with a reasonable tough waterproof outer coat which can be quite shiny but he doesn't have a lot of undercoat......no show wins for us!

9. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Adult coat?

Bouncer wears a Bomber Jacket.

;)

10. Tomal

Tomal Registered Users

Max shed absolutely loads of fur during the two weeks of the Christmas holidays when he was 6 months old. I was hovering twice a day!! I'm guessing that it was the puppy coat falling off and the adult coat coming in.

11. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

Hmm very interesting! Maisie is definitely not as super soft as she was when she was very little, and I think I noticed the softness difference maybe around 3 months. She used to be soft as a cloud, and then only her head was that soft, and I think now only her ears will stay that way for good. But she is definitely getting some sort of hair growth going on, as before it would be sleek and now has sticky out hair. She's pretty shiny but she seems to be taking after the working line in her pedigree (parents weren't strictly show or working line, which I liked, but rather each were fairly moderate examples of the breed), so perhaps that's it?

I'm interested to see what it will end up like because I have seen labradors with quite different coats. I knew a field labrador who had a very flat/thinnish coat (not in a bad way, just very sleek, even though she did still shed a lot) and then there are labs with quite thick fluffy coats. I think her head looks just ADORABLE (more so than usual) when she fuzzes up from the rain, so I hope she's a bit fluffier.

The sad thing about shedding where I live is that it is a "temperate" climate… so dogs like labs don't shed big twice a year and then somewhat the rest of the year… it's like they're in a constant state of losing hair, not quite as much as a moult, but not down to the level other labs might go to. I had a lab/golden growing up and my job was vacuuming - oy vey.

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=10197.msg149606#msg149606 date=1426409561]
    Sorry....geeky Labrador coat information there!
    [/quote]

Oh, I love a bit of geekiness! This is interesting and makes perfect sense. I've only known yellows from show lines and they have definitely had much thicker coats. I never really thought about it before. Willow's coat is a lot thicker (more luscious) than Shadow's. It will be interesting to see how they develop over time.

13. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Benson had his first proper moult about 5 months old..and that was around April last year. He has a thick coat with what looks like a shiny top coat and a coarser coat underneath. He looks to be just starting to moult now as his fur has that "patchy" look that chocolates get. So I am thinking he will have 2 moults a year.

Casper (six years old )has been in a slow moult for about 2 months, and an amazingly rich shiny black coat is starting to appear, very different from the dull matt fur he had when he arrived end of last September. It is thinner than Benson's coat though. Not been too difficult to manage Caspers moult, dreading Benson's as the house was covered in chocolate fur giving a dingy look everywhere... :(

14. bbrown

I see the greatest variation in coat texture in the black dogs. Some of them I would say have little to no undercoat at all! Which isn't ideal but perhaps indicative of the working competition element within the breed who often want black dogs.

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It is possible that it's an advantage to a working dog in the UK and at least Southern Europe not to have a full double coat. Certainly, at training, thin coated dogs start off shivering, when Charlie is comfy, but seem comfy when Charlie is trying to find the nearest icy puddle to cool down his tummy.

Although I'm not sure Charlie has the thickest of coats anyway, so it just could be his general obsession with water. Most of the working dogs look at him like he is nuts at his enthusiasm for getting wet on a cold day though....mind, they are mainly Viszlas that are often not overly keen on mud!

16. bbrown

Well that's possible but I think it's more likely to just be far lower down the priority list as you can always chuck a coat on the dog if it's cold over lunch or after work is done.