When Does A Lab Go Through Her First Season?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by LKRG, Nov 15, 2018.

1. LKRG

LKRG Registered Users

Kind of a broad question, but can you maybe summarize what it’s like when a female lab goes through a season? Ours has just turned 5 months and we’re going to wait until after her first season to spay in the hopes that her recessed vulva might correct itself.

More specifically, about when does it start and are there signs when it’s about to start? How long does it last? Do you use the doggy diapers I’ve seen? I can imagine her tearing those right off in no time. Does behavior change?

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

LKRG likes this.
  3. Keithmac

Keithmac Registered Users

Ours has just been in season at 8 months old.

She was far more clingy than usual and her "bits" plumped up but apart from that there wasn't any other signs and she kept herself clean.

Had a month off outdoor walking, just the back garden which she wasn't impressed with!.

4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

The first heat cycle will start typically between 8-12 months of age, although some dogs can be as old as 2 years before they have their first heat - all are normal.

There may not be any warning signs it is about to start, especially with a first heat.

It will last absolutely 21 days but caution is advised up to 28 days from the first blood.

Some people use doggy diapers but you're right, many dogs won't keep those on. The best thing is simply to clean the floor from the drips of blood. As long as you don't have carpets, you should be fine. Just use a wet Kleenex and wipe it off. It is not floods of blood...

Usually there is no behaviour change, although some dogs might become whiney or clingy or 'needy' or have more or less energy.... so, if there is behaviour change, it is not predictable.

I would really advise you allow her to have more than one heat cycle, since research shows that delaying spaying as long as possible is best for over all health, cancer reduction, joint disorder prevention etc etc.... I don't spay my dogs until they are 6 years old - minimum - and I am contemplating not spaying them at all, any longer.

Many research papers you can read through: https://www.avidog.com/research-on-the-effects-of-spaying-and-neutering/

If you are on FB, join our group here where we have more of a complete list, in the Files: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AgainstRoutineNeutering/

5. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

My girl had her first season at 10 months. The first sign was a hugely swollen vulva followed by bleeding a few days later.
    I put dust sheets over carpets and towels on sofas but the bleeding wasn’t excessive.
    I didn’t notice a change in behaviour.
    All walks for 4 weeks were on lead - I used to drive about a mile away from home (to break the scent) and walk around quiet, almost empty streets. If I saw another dog I would cross over or reverse direction just in case. It really helped with her lead walking.
    Her vulva took a while to reduce to normal size, about 5 weeks.
    She was spayed after her first season.