When is puppy old enough for a swim?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by lorilou61, May 14, 2014.

1. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

Edsel is 12 weeks and loves the water. Has had a little time to play in creek behind our home and made a few trips through my daughter's little decorative back yard pond. We live near a large recreational lake and wondering when is is safe to take him for an official swim.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: When is puppy old enough for a swim?

Hello, welcome to the forum!

I took my boy swimming in the sea (on a very calm day) at 12 weeks - but we were in wet suits, sat in the shallows, playing with him, and encouraging him in. If you can do something like this - keep him in shallow water so you can get to him if he gets into trouble, I'd say 12 weeks is fine. I'd leave it a while to let a young puppy into deeper water though - I'd say wait until you know he can swim well in shallower water, and he is bigger and stronger before you let him swim in a deep lake on his own.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree. Go for somewhere with a gently sloping bank, still(ish) water and a smooth, visible bottom (at least to puppy shoulder depth). If you go in the water too, as Julie did, that will help. It sounds like he might take to it very quickly though! :)

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I always walk by water so took Tatze to the doggy swimming baths to check she'd be ok if she fell in!

Here she is at 18 weeks :)

[​IMG]